Zenmuse GH4 Owners thread

ZAxis

My GH4 Zenmuse has just arrived so we've replacing the existing GH3 gimbal on the s1000. As it uses the same mounting points it was a straightforward affair.
All seems ok so far but its off on it first earner tomorrow so will post some results and experiences once it's been put through it's paces.
My only gripe was that it wasn't factory balanced or infact anywhere near balanced & the bolts holding the main arm on were loose so I would suggest checking them when you get one.
Lec

ZAxis

It does seem to have a much more solid calibration than the GH2 & GH3 version. I'm guessing this is because it can't spin infinitely in the pan axis so it sets itself quite quickly.

scotth

From the manual:

Pan axis control: ±360° continuous rotation
Tilt axis control: +50°/-140°
Roll axis control: ±40°

Thanks I did see that.. my GH3 spec says the same thing for the pan axis, and it can spin infinitely.. so which is it?

ZAxis

Apologies. I meant a restriction in the tilt movement not pan.
Have been out in some pretty gusty conditions today filming & it coped really well with it & its horizon hold definitely seemed a lot better than the previous generations of the gimbal. Once I review the footage I can give a definitive answer however it has already gone to the edit with the client.
Lec

Last edited by a moderator:

Been having a bit of issues with my GH4 actually.... I get a weird shake from left to right mid-flight. Everything will be working perfect then it has a few hard snaps that are induced by the motors. It snaps back to the initial position but it has burned a few shots. Will get a youtube video up to show specifically what I'm talking about.

The Zenmuse is pretty close to balanced and not running any lens filters or anything. Also, if you are running a GH4 on the new S900 make sure you have the right set of legs so your camera doesn't hit the ground!

And ZAxis is right, check your bolts, I found one loose on and one that was rounded out from tightening it too much!

Ok see this video... Ignore the third clip I rushed to pump this out of final cut but you can see it in the first two shots.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
How often did it do that during your flight(s)? My old GH2 Zenmuse does that a tiny little bit every now and then (maybe once every ten minutes?) but it's not consistent, just once in a while.

this is a ton... burns shots all the time. once in a blue moon I would be fine with this is like 3 times per flight however, sometimes more.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Ok see this video... Ignore the third clip I rushed to pump this out of final cut but you can see it in the first two shots.

That looks like its undecided between modes. Have you checked in the assistant each mode is centred? Like its not jumping from one to the other?

Why do I do this! Why do DJI not help here?

Any how check it

D

Droider- Yup set the end points on my futaba to have the switch fall close to the middle. Tried wiping/refreshing firm wear and the zenmuse is pretty well balanced. Copter IMU calibration is solid and everything else working perfect. Stumped on troubleshooting from here :-/

fdproductions

FD Productions
Droider- Yup set the end points on my futaba to have the switch fall close to the middle. Tried wiping/refreshing firm wear and the zenmuse is pretty well balanced. Copter IMU calibration is solid and everything else working perfect. Stumped on troubleshooting from here :-/

Yikes does the aircraft exhibit some sort of strange behavior, that looks like a pretty scary jolt, almost looks like the gimbals trying to overcorrect itself just like the h3-3d, must be a new dji gimbal issue, never seen anything like that prior to getting the h3-3d

No the copter is rock solid its just all in the zenmuse. And yes, similar to the H3-3d issue as I had some trouble with that in the past. Not sure if I should wait for firm wear or if its just toast and should look to getting a replacement.

Jumpy07

Anybody using the Panasonic 14mm lens rather than the 12mm OM lens on the GH4 on the GH4 Zenmuse ?

The 14mm is about half the weight of the 12mm.. and half the price.. reviews look just as good..

Many Thanks
Craig

scotth

Anybody using the Panasonic 14mm lens rather than the 12mm OM lens on the GH4 on the GH4 Zenmuse ?

The 14mm is about half the weight of the 12mm.. and half the price.. reviews look just as good..

Craig

Balance aside, don't forget that the crop factor increases to 2.3 when shooting 4K. I'm finding the 12mm is already as tight as I would want it in 4K mode.