XAircraft XAircraft Mini X - MRF’s Got One!

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Hey guys, as many probably know I love my SuperX Flight Controllers. They have worked really well for me so when I noticed that XAircraft was coming out with an affordable “mini” flight control with all the same features as the SuperX I just had to have one. SO a quick argument errr, I mean discussion with my wife and the order was placed.

The unit arrived today and I’ll be checking the unit out over the next week or so and I’ll report right back here. First impressions? XAircraft continues to take Steve Job’s lessons and push on. Very slick “Applesque” packaging. The main unit is plastic (To be expected at a $200ish price point) and the included GPS has the LED built into it. BRILLIANT! Also included in my “pro” package was a TINY OSD.

The size of this entire package will lend itself to small rigs such as the popular FPV racers and such. But from my initial reading, the unit can handle up to some larger Octos!

XAircraft MINIX Information:​

MINIX, a new generation Flight Controller is specially designed for model enthusiasts. It has completely extended SuperX's feature stability and safety mechanism, also is designed to be highly integrated, which has sharply reduced volume of FC system and smaller complexity in installation or tuning. It has brought a better satisfaction to meet needs of majority model players, and make the flight becomes simple and within easy touch.

■ Three flight modes: Manual Mode, Attitude Mode, and GPS Attitude Mode
MINIX offers three flight modes: Manual ,ATT and GPS, you can switch between modes according to different requirements.

■ Altitude Hold in both GPS and Attitude flight modes
When the aircraft take off in ATT or GPS mode(In manual mode, height hold function is unavailable), after reaching the height you want, it can hold height when throttle at neutral point.

■ Several options for "Safe Mode", e.g. return to home and auto landing
Worrying about lost? MiniX allows you to control the flight safety anytime. If the RC signal lost, the failsafe mode will activate. Provided there was enough GPS signal at the time of the disconnection, the multirotor will return to home(tail in or nose in) and landing, or hold its position and wait for your control, or land automatically. This feature can also be triggered manually using turn-on Safe Mode to let the aircraft fly back to its point of takeoff.

■ Built-in "green" software for ease of configuration. No need to install any software or drivers
The logical green configuration software makes your flight more simple and convenient with a little setting and debugging.

■ Support digital ground station communication and control module, Compatible with Android Pad App operation
Equipped with a XLINK AIR and XLINK GROUND digital module, and download APP form a complete set of aircraft, it is easy fou you to finish all flight movement control in a smartphone or tablet PC.

■ Built-in Black box flight recorder
The black box flight recorder can accurately record flight data in recent 40 minutes and detect aircraft failures.

■ Intelligent low voltage protection
In order to prevent your multi-rotor from crashing or other harmful consequences caused by low battery voltage, it has built-in two levels of low voltage protection. In the first level of low voltage protection(Each battery voltage below 3.6 V),LED red light flashing three times. In the second level of low voltage protection(Each battery voltage below 3.5 V), LED red light slow flashing and automatically slow down.

Specifics
Output Features ESC Frequency: 333Hz, normal ESC by default, can beset as UltraPWM. Servo Frequency: 100Hz
Hover Precision Vertical: ±1.0m , Horizontal: ±2.0m
Wind-resistance <8m/s (17.9mph / 28.8km/h)
Max. Rudder Speed 200°/s
Max. Inctdnation Angel 35°
Max. Lifting Speed ±5m/s
Environment Temperature Limits -5°C ~ 65°C
Remote Controller Futaba
Configuration Software Windows System only

I purchased my unit on Ebay for $210 It came with the FC + GPS + OSD and all the necessary cables one might need. I’ll mount it on a very simple and basic quad made from a Flitetest Elecrtohub, wood booms and some 2100KV motors I had laying around.

CHECK BACK!

Attachments

• fc.jpg
    fc.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 369
  • GPS1.jpg
    GPS1.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 444
  • OSD1.jpg
    OSD1.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG_0873.jpg
    IMG_0873.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 403
  • IMG_0874.jpg
    IMG_0874.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG_0875.jpg
    IMG_0875.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_0876.jpg
    IMG_0876.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_0877.jpg
    IMG_0877.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_0878.jpg
    IMG_0878.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_0879.jpg
    IMG_0879.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG_0880.jpg
    IMG_0880.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 326

Gary Seven

Rocketman
@SleepyC, you must be psychic! I was just about to post a question asking what's going on with Xaircraft and the SuperX versus the MiniX, and you go and post this. Truth is, I've been mulling this over for a while and following the various threads, but a visit to their website left me totally confused.

I get the feeling (just from perusing their site, mind you) that they want to push the MiniX and get away from the SuperX. Am I wrong here?

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
@SleepyC, you must be psychic! I was just about to post a question asking what's going on with Xaircraft and the SuperX versus the MiniX, and you go and post this. Truth is, I've been mulling this over for a while and following the various threads, but a visit to their website left me totally confused.

I get the feeling (just from perusing their site, mind you) that they want to push the MiniX and get away from the SuperX. Am I wrong here?

Initial thoughts is this, this looks like a full featured FC for Mini’s. Not saying It can’t handle a bigger machine (which I do not know yet, just speculating) but from the minute size and lower price, I think this may be a GREAT solution for FPV racers and the smaller quads/hex’s. I mean looking at the quality of the SuperX, the mini is not there, but for $200 if the performance is close to a superX on smaller rigs.. it will sell a TON of units.

Already have it mounted, just need to find a Deans male connector and solder my motor leads on and test rotation and such...
probably have it ready tonight... SO.. more to come!

jfro

Aerial Fun
I maidened a Tarot x6 (flat hex) with 3520 kde's this past weekend. Had SuperX on it and was having huge disparity in motor output. 1,3,5 very high and 2,4,6 where I expected them. Long story short, in the middle of testing, MiniX showed up. Put it on quad with same kde motors and esc's that are on the hex. I had just taken the SuperX off the quad. I put the same settings in for the MiniX and it flew the same as before. Very nicely.

After some more testing on the Hex, I took off the SuperX and put MiniX on the 18lb hex. Getting same motor output issues. Did 6 or 7 flights today looking at black box each time, changing gains, , checking motor level, pitch etc. Still have issues.

That being said, Hex doesn't fly too bad and I really can't tell the difference between SuperX and MiniX in my limited testing. Less wind today, so other then 2 flights in wind, MiniX has had light winds. Only thing I notice on Sat when both flew under same conditions, MiniX (black box) showed higher vibrations even though I just changed FC and GPS. Also, got more Satellites than I've ever gotten in my back yard w/ MiniX. Today I had 6-8 sats early in clouds and when it got clear, I was getting 11-12. Crazy. Sat accuracy was a little better on the MiniX also. Think sat, Minix was getting 3-5 more satellites than the SuperX did.

Flights were 4-8 minutes as it was 11 degrees. Fingers numb up.

jfro

Aerial Fun
An obvious thought you have set the FC to Hex in the software?

X

Many times.... On both SuperX and MiniX.

Extreme cold here but warming to over 20 F tomorrow with very light wind. Just finished putting Naza V2 on will give that a try. Will have to go by motor temperature and how it flies.... as no black box data.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Got my tiny rig flying. Had some trouble tuning it, it’s a tiny 200 size mini and it seems like 1.1 on everything make it vibrate, 1.0 is too loose, tried to use the gain knob but it never felt perfect. I’m going to mess around some more.. BUT.. WEIRD THING. WITH “HEIGHT” SET TO 1, IN ATTI MODE I PULLED THE THROTTLE DOWN TO ZERO and THEN WHACKED THE GAS AND IT NEVER CAME BACK ON THROTTLE UNTIL IT HIT THE GROUND. Just broke some props and dislodged the GPS but it was definitely weird. Like my SuperX’s will fall a little and then bang the throttle and they pop back up like a pogo.... I’ll do more testing later. Need to find some more 5” props. :(

jfro

Aerial Fun
Come on SleepyC, put it on one of your big rigs or at least something bigger. Inquiring minds want to know!

I have not heard or ready anything that leads me to believe this is just for small and mini MR's, Did I miss something"

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I think the cost indicates that it was intended for smaller/less expensive machines.

Plus I want a nice GPS type FC for smaller FPV rigs...

jfro

Aerial Fun
I think the cost indicates that it was intended for smaller/less expensive machines.

Plus I want a nice GPS type FC for smaller FPV rigs...

I get the price point part. But I put it on my new hex while I was chasing a problem and it got some air time on a 18lb hex. I would have to fly it some more now that I have my issue figured out, but on 1st blush, I'd say it didn't handle much different than my SuperX. GPS lock was astonishingly quick, and just being about 60 minutes after my last SuperX flight on hex, it got about got more satellites. GPS accuracy was better also.

I have no idea what the difference is between the two, other than the metal solid casings have been replaced by light plastic and there are it's a 2 piece unit instead of 3. Think they put the IMU or something in the main FC.

What I'm wondering, is besides price point is there really any difference. Did they use cheap components that will burn out quicker (I hope not). Software is pretty much the same. I don't have way points on either, so I'm not sure what they can or can't do there. It doesn't have IOC like the inexpensive DJI Naza line does, so maybe this is just a rock solid, FC that does the basics. If so, if it's reliable, then it will be interesting to see how it handles bigger MR's.

I'm not promoting or not promoting it on bigger MR's. But my Naza on 20lb x8 flies very nicely for filming. They say don't do it and mine has been fine. Filming is mostly slow flying and floating around. I don't know why I need more unless it's features. Maybe the MiniX will be similar...

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
According to XA themselves the parts used in MiniX are a lesser quality than SuperX, I don't know if that means less life or whatever.

X

jfro

Aerial Fun
Any chance that's just marketing to sell lots of inexpensive ones but still keep the SuperX for the peeps that want to spend more money? I'd love to hear others compare it to their SuperX on at least mid size MR's.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Well from what I can tell just today it acts differently than the SuperX. Has different behaviors, not a bad thing but it is not a SuperX.

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
MiniX fills a place in the scheme of things but I have also been told of other SuperX owners wanting to trial MiniX have quickly switched back to SX leaving MX for something later.

Maybe it will find an improved need when the way-point thing is released,

X

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I think a person who has never flown a SX will like the MX... BUT if you are a seasoned SX flyer, the MX is not the same. I’ll continue to test it as soon as I get more props... Again, don;t play the pump the throttle game in ATTi/GPS it does not seem to respond.
(Then again it could be a combo of certain esc’s and the MX... or ? but it was weird!)

Zirt57

I heard somewhere (here or the "other" forums) that if you go all the way to 0 on the MiniX, it will dis-arm the motors. Can't test this myself but it might be worth looking into. I think someone came up with a patch type solution where you can't really 0 out your throttle.

Jeff

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
I heard somewhere (here or the "other" forums) that if you go all the way to 0 on the MiniX, it will dis-arm the motors. Can't test this myself but it might be worth looking into. I think someone came up with a patch type solution where you can't really 0 out your throttle.

Jeff

Jeff, I saw that too but don't understand it! with SX if on the ground (an air I guess) and I cut the throttle to Zero my motors turn off, no idle! is this not the way it is meant to be?

Or do they mean having the thrust stick at centre (50%) I could see how that would cause heart failure!

X

Last edited by a moderator:

Zirt57

Jeff, I saw that too but don't understand it! with SX if on the ground (an air I guess) and I cut the throttle to Zero my motors turn off, no idle! is this not the way it is meant to be?

Or do they mean having the thrust stick at centre (50%) I could see how that would cause heart failure!

X
You know what, I'm really not sure. I don't think that I've ever dropped to zero when flying. I know on the ground, if I drop to zero for more than a few seconds, I have to re-arm. I'm talking SuperX here. I've never flown a MiniX (yet).

Jeff

p. s. I did bite the bullet and bought a MiniX, just haven't had time to mount in anything. Curiosity killed the cat I guess. Soon though. Just waiting for some parts. Shhh. Don't tell the wife.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk Pro.

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
Thanks Jeff, I too find it hard to comprehend what is meant, if cutting thrust doesn't turn off the motors what does? do they wait until the battery runs down :D:D

X