Waypoint flying for Phantom Vision

danproud

View attachment 15029

I just saw that DJI are working on a ground station app for the Phantom 2 Vision. Is it just me, or are their consumer products getting way too powerful for their own good? I really shudder to think of what accidents are going to happen with this autonomous flying in the hands of every second kid on the block. Building collisions, flying over crowds, the risks are high, the Phantom is not a toy! Besides, isn't beyond visual range flying Illegal in most countries? Just wanted to see what people think about this. It looks like DJI think they're going to be the next 'Apple' of drones with a Phantom being as common as an iPhone. The ground station functionality is GREAT for experienced flyers doing things safely, but not so safe for cowboy kids. In my opinion, they should restrict waypoint to the WKM & A2. Thoughts anyone?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-12-10 at 9.52.25 am.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-12-10 at 9.52.25 am.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 426

Tahoe Ed

They actually did the restriction and users revolted and demanded that they get it for the Naza and what is a Phantom but a rebodied Naza. I don't necessarily disagree with you and DJI sometimes may need to just say no and mean it. Some consumers have too much money and not enough common sense. There are guys that are buying an S800 with A2 as their first multi rotor, seriously? As a manufacturer, how do you control that? Unfortunately, for the rest of us it may be the government that steps in and tells you what craft you are qualified to fly.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
You can't control it. People buy giant 700 size helis which are like lawn mowers with cricket bats attached (an Englishman referencing cricket, shocker!). I think it will be up to local government to control. I guess reporting people using this technology irresponsibly to a law enforcement organisation would be the most effective way to keep the incidents down. Self regulating then. In the UK we just report them to the CAA who send a nice letter to the operator. For us people who went through the whole getting licensed route it is the only way to stop rogue operators taking business away from us certified safe operators.

CrashMaster

It'll all be OK the guys at DJI have protected restricted areas from Ground Station flight..... well you are not be able to fly within 1/2 a mile of Tiananmen Square. How long before other governments demand the same protection.... Buckingham Palace, Houses of Parliament, Airports....... I can see the list only growing.

So we will all be safe?

I like this idea because for the price of the vision you could buy the 450, zenmuse, and ground station. Smart move with DJI.

bgohier

I know people who have bought one for commercial use in Australia to fly over crowds without realising if it was allowed

CrashMaster

I can see the Phantom V2 Vision being used commercially. It has a reasonable resolution camera for stills and a video usable for most, HD standard. Also the cost would mean someone being able to buy the stock machine and take off at less than a quarter of the cost of more substantial machines. Of course the critics and photo snobs will say it is useless and amateurish but someone will do it. There will also be a case in the pro AP world for using such a small machine as a major safety element for flying closer to people, buildings and structures restricted by machines capable of carrying a Cannon D5 or Red Epic. The weight and portability is a massive plus too making it easily deployed where other more complex systems would never fear to tread. Also one man operator would be a bonus too.

If disaster struck it will also be no major issue to just buy another or even have a spare one back at the hanger.

I am watching and listening to see if it is viable. The first person to get one of these certified to fly by the CAA give us a shout.
Also, if used as stock, the Operations Manual could be standardised saving time and effort for the Pro AP flyer.

Why should you punish good responsible people for a few cowboy kids. Just because you don't have a license doesn't make you a cowboy kid. Keep the government out.