The Flip Thread

DesJardins

Share why your ditching the DJI motors... Here is my reason finally caught on tape after 4 prior random flips. I'm done with the DJI motors & bullet connectors.

T-motors MT-2212-16's (750Kv) are on their way!
Also looking at the MT-2814 (770Kv)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jackella

bet that was annoying,it was flying so well.
More than likely a poorly insulated motor winding,works fine when cold and when warmed up will short circuit and voila.
seen this a few times recently,poor quality control on the motors.

DesJardins

Yup, after the first few times it went away with a new motor and 20 flights or so later... BAM AGAIN.

I'm loading another video that shows how high I was just minutes before, it shows how luck I am it happened after my high flying.

kloner

Aerial DP
i had a 330 i moved my 2215's to but i tried the rctimer 18 amp esc's........ mid flight if you did anything but hover it did the same thing. That was cured by a new esc.......

skipper1

I think I'm ready to get some Tiger motors for my F450. This may be a dumb question, but I'm trying to learn from the experts. Will the DJI 30A ESC's work well with the Tiger's or do I need to consider a different ESC?

DennyR

With all of the Flip of Death analysis going on at the moment it does seem to point towards ESC problems as the main cause.

DesJardins

I think I'm ready to get some Tiger motors for my F450. This may be a dumb question, but I'm trying to learn from the experts. Will the DJI 30A ESC's work well with the Tiger's or do I need to consider a different ESC?

I haven't received them yet but should be good based on them being tested with a 30amp ESC on the specs page.

With all of the Flip of Death analysis going on at the moment it does seem to point towards ESC problems as the main cause.

I verified the first was a bad motor not an ESC, second flip I swapped the 2nd flipping side motor to a different arm and flip happened on the new side. My results show horrible motors

skipper1

Thanks, Des. Since you have motors on the way, I'm holding off to see how it works for you. If I need new ESC's, I'd like to get everything at the same time.

kloner

Aerial DP
I've ran the dji esc's from the start on my 450's, the only time i've had a problem was the rc timer stuff. i'd leave the dji esc's with any motor swap... mine got the 2814 and 2810, they recomend 40 amp for a plank, but in fpv flying them in atti, i don't even get into 15 amp draws per motor. there 30 amp esc's and the important thing, 450hz refresh and opto so they are opticaly isolated with a piece of fiber optic cable between the voltage in and the servo output. keeps noise down

DesJardins

Here is a pic of the nicer solder joint & from what I can see the wires are not "pre-tin'd". That in combination with the crappy bullet connectors that are not all consistently tight I would re-solder the bullet connector & once the bullet connector is installed maybe heat shrink the connector to the ESC pot or direct solder if you plan on using your DJI 2212's...

2B070CA7-1D54-465A-9CF5-119BD6B5D0B2-107-00000004CBBEDA1C_zps19239613.jpg

DesJardins

Ok, first set of motors to "test" are the MT-2212-16 T-motors.
i'll be posting back up as I'm hoping they are in stock local for a quick drop-ship pick up.

These will be the direct fit replacements for my 3S set-up parallel FPV flying.

skipper1

I'm waiting on Des to get his new motors before I continue my F450 build.
In the meantime, I'm messing with my recently built Flydumini. Naza, Hobbywing 10a esc's & Tiger MT1306-10 3100kv. At first I got serious wobble so I backed the gains off and it straightened out. I still get drifting but am working on that.
Here's my current big problem. My back right motor gets hot. I switched the motor out with a new one and it gets hot too. I'm betting it's the ESC, what would you think?

DesJardins

Is it balanced? I had weight more forward at one time (not balanced properly) & my front motors were hotter. They were being worked much more than the rears!

Do those ESC's need to be calibrated?

The 2212 T-motors will be here Wednesday!

skipper1

Thank you for that. The back is a little heavier. But why would just the one right rear get hot? There is so little room on this thing that I really don't know how to distribute the weight. I have 400 skids on it so maybe a little weight in front on the skids?

DesJardins

It could be that very small weight transfer that over the flight has that rear side working way to hard. I use a wine cork to balance my quad on, it makes sure there isn't a side that is over weight.

I'll snap a pic of it being balanced with my little "balance cork"
:)

skipper1

Cork! I would have never thought of that one.
BTW, I think you're really going to like those Tiger motors. Even though these that I have are really small, they just sound great. I have a feeling they're going to perform really nice. I'm excited for you, full report with pics and video please.