SunnySky Motors in a Y6 looking for some quick answers...

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
Hey all, what is everyone's thoughts on the SunnySky motors? I just bought a set of 8 of them, the 2814 700Kv version, and I'll be putting 6 with 2 spares on my brand new UAP-2 Y6. I hear they are almost the same quality as T-motor and Avroto but for much less. Anyone have any experience with them they care to share? I'm hoping I made the right purchase and they will be plenty powerful. My Y6 weighs about 5-6lbs and I plan on using 11x5 Graupner style props or 12x6 props. Any ideas on whether or not it will be overpowered or on what prop size to use etc or any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Stacky

I have 14 of them, 8 on a X8 and 6 on a Hexa. The Hexa has over 12 hours of air time logged on it without skipping a beat. The Hexa is using 11 inch APC props and weighs 4kg with camera, gimbal and battery.

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
I have 14 of them, 8 on a X8 and 6 on a Hexa. The Hexa has over 12 hours of air time logged on it without skipping a beat. The Hexa is using 11 inch APC props and weighs 4kg with camera, gimbal and battery.

Very nice and 4kg is very heavy wow, what are you hovering at? 50%? My Y6 is maybe 5-6lbs so I'm wondering if these motors are going to be too powerful or not but I guess I could always prop down too. I have available 10x5 APC, 11x5 Graupner and 12x6 slo-fly basically. Thanks!

Efliernz

Pete
I have 10 of them... DWx hexa and a quad. The 3.4Kg 4S5000 hexa had too much power with 12x6 narrow APC clones (hover at under 40%) and I trimed them to 10.5" to achieve the 50% hover.
The quad is 3Kg and using the full-size 12x6 props and it rocks!

So much power available if you choose the bigger props.

Pete

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert

Hey quick follow-up question...I'm about to mount the 2814 Sunnysky 700Kv motors. Did you use the X mounts that came with the motors to mount them to your UAP-2 frame? Also, do you have the UAP2 double block slotted X-base mounts or the Universal anti-vibration mount? Trying to decide on how to mount them, with X mounts or directly from motor to the arm itself with screws? Thanks!

Stacky

On the X8 I have the motors on the supplied X mounts and the X mount holes line up directly with some boom clamps I got from http://www.quadframe.com/

On the Hexa I have the X mounts on the motors and then mounted to these http://www.shop.aglhobbiesllc.com/Motor-Mounts/UAP1-Large-Universal-Slotted-X-Base-Mount.html

I did try my own version of rustys anti vibration kit a while back on some smaller motors and i think it worked but didnt really do any proper testing. What i did notice was a smoother sound from the motors so I assumed at the time it was helping. I find that if I take care to balance my props as well as possible that reduces the most vibration and I have isolation from the frame to the gimbal.

tombrown1

Stacky, I'm thinking of building a 7kg auw octo with these motors and 12x3.8 props. Are you getting generous flight times out of your X8 and hex?

Thanks,

Tom

Stacky

Tom Im running 4s batteries with AUW of 4kg. The X8 with 2 5000mah 4s batteries gives me 12 minutes and the Hexa AUW 4kg with 1 5000mah 4s battery gives me 6 minutes of real flying and 7-8 if just hovering. The Hexa is using 11 inch props, havent checked flight times with 12s

SMP

Make sure you get the Grubscrew prop adapters BEFORE a prop starts slipping - <---Killed the Disco with a loose prop

tombrown1

Tom Im running 4s batteries with AUW of 4kg. The X8 with 2 5000mah 4s batteries gives me 12 minutes and the Hexa AUW 4kg with 1 5000mah 4s battery gives me 6 minutes of real flying and 7-8 if just hovering. The Hexa is using 11 inch props, havent checked flight times with 12s
Thanks Stacky. What props on the X8?

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
On the X8 I have the motors on the supplied X mounts and the X mount holes line up directly with some boom clamps I got from http://www.quadframe.com/

On the Hexa I have the X mounts on the motors and then mounted to these http://www.shop.aglhobbiesllc.com/Motor-Mounts/UAP1-Large-Universal-Slotted-X-Base-Mount.html

I did try my own version of rustys anti vibration kit a while back on some smaller motors and i think it worked but didnt really do any proper testing. What i did notice was a smoother sound from the motors so I assumed at the time it was helping. I find that if I take care to balance my props as well as possible that reduces the most vibration and I have isolation from the frame to the gimbal.

Thanks, I got the motors mounted using the supplied X mounts and I did a test flight...they are much quieter and are more powerful for sure. You can tell the build quality on these is very good and they seem to be balanced very well. I bought 8 and only 1 of them is in question with a possible bad or failing bearing. Thanks for your help again!

SamaraMedia

Running four of em on a Disco - Digging it so far.

Disco - motors not to big? What props you using?

I've got 6 for a hexa UAP-1 build, 4.2k with camera, gimbal and two 5000mAh 4s batteries, 11x4 Gemfan wooden props. Not sure of flight times, still in testing stage but seems like 8-10 minutes easily attainable.

JW