REQUEST TO DJI: Photogrammetric GPS and IMU data

Discussion in 'DJI A2 & WKM flight control systems' started by RotorTalk, Nov 23, 2012.

1. RotorTalk

RotorTalk No Longer Active

In order to undertake aerial photogrammetric data processing (orthorectification/image mosaicing) its necessary (preferred) for the 3D position of the camera, its attitude and the time the picture is taken to be recorded as part of the data capture mission.

Companies such as Sensefly, Pteryx, Pix4d etc incorporate this ability in their flight/camera/GPS AP systems.

If DJI is really serious about providing AP/photogrammetry capabilities then at the very least one would need a data log recording the above parameters using the Wookong-M (Ace-one etc) controllers. Another way would be to write this data into the camera's file as part of each photo's EXIF/IPTC metadata file.

As an interim fix can one get a dump file out of DJI 'View'? Then one could get by by syncing the cameras time to GPS time.

2. ChrisViperM

ChrisViperM Active Member

DJI acts like a stubborn old wife.....whatever she says is right, and whatever you are saying or wanting is bullsh... unless approved by the old lady.....

....data log recording is a feature what users are asking for now for a long time (and not difficult to implement) , but DJI thinks we don't need that....full stop. Sad, but a proven fact.

Chris

3. srbell

srbell New Member

Again, my $179 APM 2.5's and $89 40km RDF900 modems are kicking my MKm/DataView in the butt. I think they better look at the competition... And what's with the $1000 retractable landing skids? Wow, that's a bit steep!

4. matthew.wright5

matthew.wright5 New Member

It will come eventually - DJI is a lot like Apple computers - they have the tech now, but release it in increments over a prolonged period to keep us interested and themselves in the news and at the top of the game.

They have the option to charge for the capability too!

That said, I would like to do photogammetry in the future, so DJI better prove me right!

5. Dewster

Dewster Member

Photogrammetric data processing?? I just want to put a camera up in the air and take pictures. I'll leave the innovation to MIT students. I think DJI found it's customer base by providing a relatively simple flight system that allows most to fly and take aerial photos. Despite professional labeling and incredible flight performance, I don't think this gear is really intended for scientific research. It's a simple flight platform. You'll need to attach your specialized gear if you want scientific measurements etc.

I do think the $1000 dollar price tag on retractable landing gear is steep. It's just unnecessary. The retracts on the landing gear are pretty cool and something that I don't think would be hard to do with a little ingenuity. ;)

6. matthew.wright5

matthew.wright5 New Member

The actual photogrammetric processing is done by other programs. The least DJI can do is provide a exportable doc that contains a list of GPS coordinates that corresponds to the location where each picture was taken.

These programs use that data for useful mapping applications and analysis. Without it, all you have is a stitched landscape picture of the ground.

7. Muunk

Muunk New Member

My Sony A77 camera has a built in gps :)

8. srbell

srbell New Member

The A77 is a nice camera, too bad it's double the weight of a NEX. Maybe the next NEX will include a GPS...

9. ChopperBoy

ChopperBoy New Member

How to configure the "F-Channel" and "GP servo action config" for using the "Photogrammetry Tool"? Anyone tried with S800 + Z15 + Nex7 and got successful automatic photo taken at predefined photo point?
    We'd tried to define a flight mission using the photogrammetry tool, inputting H/V overlapping %, flight speed ...., there were estimated total flight time and length, however the estimated no. of photos is always zero. I assume that once the flight mission is upload to S800, the Main Controller will send signal to Z15 to trigger the infra-red shutter for photo taking, no extra cable is required, am I right?

10. Digitech

Digitech New Member

there will be a log function soon comming with the iosd
    it will store all parameters.
    if you by chance destroyed a iosd you can see there is a memory card inside.
    or maybe its for DJI to see what you are all up to these days :)