RC Timer S800 clone

I have seen a thread comparing the "clone" to the real S800 and the two are identical. The clone offers different esc's that come with simonk firmware and a mix on P and N fets with an ext oscillator. For 900 usd you can build with a nice carbon fiber frame.

larryfl1

is the clone identical? any down side ?

can i replace with dji parts in the future , swappable?

i just want to make sure no down side to saving....

thanks

Kilby

I saw a thread on another forum about them. They seem to be the exact same frame with different electronics. The wiring in the arms is also a little lighter in gauge.

The funny thing is that they shut down that thread stating copyright issues. Weird.

Kilby

The strange thing though, is that from tests, the "cloned" esc's appear to be better than the originals, from what testers were saying.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
i'd like to see the clones rotting on the shelves. from building/designing my own stuff I've seen how much effort goes into bringing something new to life. the people that steal and cheat are the lowest of lifeforms.

i don't embrace overpricing and gouging the crap out of people either but one doesn't justify the other.

bart

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
i'd like to see the clones rotting on the shelves. from building/designing my own stuff I've seen how much effort goes into bringing something new to life. the people that steal and cheat are the lowest of lifeforms.

i don't embrace overpricing and gouging the crap out of people either but one doesn't justify the other.

bart

I totally agreed with you Bart. The only thing that is killing me is spare parts with a price like that. http://www.goodluckbuy.com/landing-...-for-dji-s800-hexacopter-right-fastener-.html.
I wish DJI would be more relaxed on the pricing of spare parts that are obviously needed when a customer is in need. If one does a little research and can get the hole landdinggear for the price of three of these parts its gets harsh !

Boris

Kilby

bart

9 out of 10 times I would agree with that statement, but judging by how many recalls and accidents there have been with the S800, it seems like they didn't do enough R&D before rushing to market and wasting peoples money. Have you noticed how many S800's there are in the for sale forum lately? Looks like people are running away from that platform.

Bartman

9 out of 10 times I would agree with that statement, but judging by how many recalls and accidents there have been with the S800, it seems like they didn't do enough R&D before rushing to market and wasting peoples money. Have you noticed how many S800's there are in the for sale forum lately? Looks like people are running away from that platform.

no, i didn't notice that. is the zenmuse living up to expectations?

Kilby

Aside from the price, the Zenmuse is great. It just seems like the S800 is no good with that gimbal. I've talked with a few folks that got it with plans to use another gimbal, but found tons of vibration issues, mostly high frequency that effects the video output.

Bartman

did you get one yet Kilby? How tough would it be for me to adapt it to one of my frames?

thanks,
bart

Kilby

I haven't got one yet. I'd like to, but my primary focus is on stills at the moment. I'll wait and see what happens this year with direct drive brushless motor gimbals. A few folks have been working on something that I think will change the market some, or at least the super high cost of the DJI gimbal.

DennyR

Bart
I have three Zens. and I think you know that I love them. Nothing comes close...YET. But I would sure like to get my hands on a new Align. I don't think they make their own electronics so that aspect is a bit worrying. But one of their 800's with the new mount could be a real winner. The only Taiwanese gimbal controller that I know is the one from Fei, lets hope it's not a rebadged one of those, for sure the special smooth servos will be from Savox.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisViperM

Bart
But I would sure like to get my hands on a new Align. I don't think they make their own electronics so that aspect is a bit worrying. But one of their 800's with the new mount could be a real winner. The only Taiwanese gimbal controller that I know is the one from Fei, lets hope it's not a rebadged one of those, for sure the special smooth servos will be from Savox.

I guess it's this one you are talking about:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-ALIGN-G...racter_Radio_Control_Toys&hash=item3ccdbfc4d0
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1788034

Here is a video of it:

Ther is just two very irritating things:

1) look at 0:30 how it "snaps"....

2) from 1:40 (image on the monitor) it looks like there is no stabilization at all....

In case anyone is interested, here is the vid about the set-up:

edit: After posting this I just saw that Denny starten his own thread about the Align G800.....

Chris

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Problems or not, straight copying is sad. So much time and $$$$ is spent in R&D and the consumer never takes that into account.
I'm a "un-wealthy" guy, meaning that when I spend a dollar it means something, and I'd rather pay more for the original than a clone/ (99% of the time).
This makes a lot more sense when you know the designer.
Giant Scale airplanes and multi rotors are the last resort when it comes to personal relationships with the actual designers of the stuff we use.
Don't take that for granted.

Just saying. Who actually knows the guy who created the latest RC car...... NO ONE.

Respect the relationship!

Everything we consume is copied, there will never be a world without copys or clones reverse engineered of products wither it be a full copy, half, a small bit it doesn't matter, we the end users benefit from choice, the decisions we make as to what we purchase decides who gets what $$$ over a products lifecycle clone 1 or clone 2

We just have to live with it, its not ever going to change 100yrs ago to today its still the same just its faster and easier to clone something, and if I was a designer Id be naive thinking Ill have what I make all to myself, there will always be customers who will buy/stick to brand loyalty> top end, middle of the road and el chepos insert clones in anyone of those tiers

Im pro clone, why? because it brings on progress, competition, opens up the hobby to almost everyone, look where multirotors has come in 5 yrs no thanks to people copy each other and sometimes bettering each other

Dont get me wrong, I have a cloned DJI frame(+ many others) to bash around and I have a dream of one day having a Droidworx frame, why? because that is the Ferrari I hope for!

1 up man ship...trying to better someone else wither we create or consume, is what makes the world go around

^what he said on clones.

I'm really considering the S800 clone too. For 800 bucks it's not such a bad deal at all, even if I have to change out some thin wires in the arms. Can anyone comment on it?