Newbie DJI F450 Build

jabba

Hi Guys,

think I may have posted in the wrong forum originally. I have a quick question about a first time build. Original post here:
http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...a-F450-Build-Eager-First-Timer-avoid-the-woes!

Was recently introduced to quadcopters and was hooked! So lots of googling later, I have put in an order for one of my own! I have ordered:

DJI Naza F450 Kit
Spektrum Dx6i radio and AR6210 reciever
Naza GPS
4 x 2200mah S3 batteries
Charger for batteries

Now for the question! I am really looking forward to assembling it when it arrives. That said, I am certain that once I start I will get frustrated as I dont have some required part or other! Can someone who has built one tell me what additional bits you need so that I can be prepared. For example, will I need any cabling (and if so, what gauge), any connectors to join anything together, glue, adhesive, zip-ties, etc...etc....

I already have a good soldering iron and all the bits necessary for soldering, so should be ok on that front!

Any advise (to save disappointment!) appreciated!

Cheers,
Jabba

Visvid

London Newbie
Sounds Good

You should be ok I have just built the exact same setup with a different radio and all I needed as an extra was some velcro straps, however from what you have listed any items that you may need will be of minimal cost, oh I had the 450 up and flying in around 3 hours .. it flies a dream especially with the gaza and gps

Hi Guys,

think I may have posted in the wrong forum originally. I have a quick question about a first time build. Original post here:
http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...a-F450-Build-Eager-First-Timer-avoid-the-woes!

Was recently introduced to quadcopters and was hooked! So lots of googling later, I have put in an order for one of my own! I have ordered:

DJI Naza F450 Kit
Naza GPS
4 x 2200mah S3 batteries
Charger for batteries

Now for the question! I am really looking forward to assembling it when it arrives. That said, I am certain that once I start I will get frustrated as I dont have some required part or other! Can someone who has built one tell me what additional bits you need so that I can be prepared. For example, will I need any cabling (and if so, what gauge), any connectors to join anything together, glue, adhesive, zip-ties, etc...etc....

I already have a good soldering iron and all the bits necessary for soldering, so should be ok on that front!

Cheers,
Jabba

jabba

Hi,

Thanks so much for that feedback. I am excited to get it and start building! Its good to know that you had it up and running in just 3hrs! Based on some of the tips that I have picked up from other posts, I have the following on standby!
- Solder station
- Velcro Straps (per your suggestion)
- Cable ties
- Hot Glue gun (maybe instead of cable ties for neatness?!?!)
- Various lengths and guages of wire (just in case!)

Do you have any tips based on your own build? Anything that you would do differently second time around? Anything that you didn't have and had to rush out to get during the build!? The build looks very straight forward, so I dont envisage any problem, but wondering if there was any particular guides or posts that you found useful. I have watched several videos and read several posts, so have digested lots of information!

Lastly, I am hopeful that the batteries that I ordered (S3 Lipo -- from a different supplier) have the right connections?....presume they are standard and wont have any chopping and hunting for alternative connectors?

Thanks for the help! I should have everything by the weekend, so will certainly be posting back if I have any tips or suggestions for the next person in my shoes!

Cheers,
Jab

You should be ok I have just built the exact same setup with a different radio and all I needed as an extra was some velcro straps, however from what you have listed any items that you may need will be of minimal cost, oh I had the 450 up and flying in around 3 hours .. it flies a dream especially with the gaza and gps

kloner

Aerial DP
i swore i replied to this, but guess not. You need to get a common connector on all your stuff. battery and charger come with something, usually doesn't match. the dji kit doesn't have any, just two piece of wire. some use xt-60, others deans. Whatever you do, make em all the same and avoid any adapters.

it is a good idea to use something over your solder joints like liquid masking tape, plasti dip, something along those lines. I like contact cement like welders or goo for attaching my esc's and vu... I have a trhead towards the top called discovery build, shows all i mention here, just shaped a little different

kloner

Aerial DP
one other thing came to mind, that receiver doesn't have a multi channel failsafe, i'm not sure how that works, but you might look further into it

cpmboy

just sharing ....I put some silicon gel to each of the soldering points to make it water/moisture proof.

ITechie

Kloner
For fresh F450 with no extra weight what size APC or Graupner props would you switch to...8"...9"...to avoid stock DJI ones failing (which seem to be a problem others mention)?

gencode

Other than getting differnet props because the DJI ones will most likely break as they did with me causing a crash into a lake(lost $1,200 of equipment)
I don't think the AR6210 will toggle your naza to failsafe on Tx loss of signal, this is what engauges RTH(Return to home) on transmitter loss, I "think" you need the AR7x or higher. I have a Dx6i working well with manual failsafe but if ever i lose the tranmitter power or signal I could have a flyaway/crash or binding set safe landing but not a RTH and about to change it to a 7

Do change those props :)

Hi Guys,

DJI Naza F450 Kit
Naza GPS
4 x 2200mah S3 batteries
Charger for batteries

Cheers,
Jabba

Last edited by a moderator:

gencode

Jabba, here is why you probably want to change to a AR8000 [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]receiver
[/FONT]If you lose signal your only gonna get land, not the RTH failsafe thats really cool in the NAZA-M
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1488019

Hi Guys,

DJI Naza F450 Kit
Naza GPS
4 x 2200mah S3 batteries
Charger for batteries

Cheers,
Jabba

gencode

Des,

I was about to change to a Dx7i but maybe I can simply go to a 7010
So is it really as simple as the throttle, just set my switches and bind and when I turn off my Tx my Rx will throw the switches to the position I set them to in the bind like it does with the throttle?

If so ill pick one up tomorrow and bind it to my Dx6i, the RTH on Tx loss is an important thing i am missing.

Ed,
Not sure on the 7000 but my 7010 can do pre-set fail safe or last position failsafe.
I use pre-set of course

usnooz

Des,

I was about to change to a Dx7i but maybe I can simply go to a 7010
So is it really as simple as the throttle, just set my switches and bind and when I turn off my Tx my Rx will throw the switches to the position I set them to in the bind like it does with the throttle?

If so ill pick one up tomorrow and bind it to my Dx6i, the RTH on Tx loss is an important thing i am missing.

Ed,

Let me know how you get on. I want to get the GPS upgrade but want to avoid changing from my Dx6I if i can help it.

mpilot

I'm fairly new as well and one thing that caught me out on build was putting the correct props on the correct corner, also remember to check the motor rotation and make sure they are spinning the correct way.

DesJardins

I'm going to do a little looking on the DX6 because of channel # since I'm using the DX8 & mixing...etc

From what I am reading it's up to the Receivers capabilities for the pre-set failsafe feature like my AR7010 DSMx that does work with a DSMx transmitter like the DX6i.

I'd like to hear from Tahoe Ed as he really helped me understand my set-up with the initial bind process so he might know more on the DX6i itself. I sent off a quick message to help verify as everything I see says it would be good to go!

gencode

Everything I read is the Dx6i will bind to the 7x series Rx, here is what I used to do the mixing to get manual fail safe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHKedPufe08&feature=plcp

I'm going to do a little looking on the DX6 because of channel # since I'm using the DX8 & mixing...etc

From what I am reading it's up to the Receivers capabilities for the pre-set failsafe feature like my AR7010 DSMx that does work with a DSMx transmitter like the DX6i.

I'd like to hear from Tahoe Ed as he really helped me understand my set-up with the initial bind process so he might know more on the DX6i itself. I sent off a quick message to help verify as everything I see says it would be good to go!