naza gps lock times

plingboot

am i the only one who seems to have a rather tardy naza gps.

seems to take forever to start getting a lock (2 red flashes). it will then sit there double flashing and i can only get it to drop to one red flash by taking off and gaining 20/30m altitude.

there's plenty of sky to look at and it's on the supplied mast, so not sure what it's problem is.

Tahoe Ed

Maybe that is your problem, the mast. I de-masted mine on both the F450 FPV Quad and the F550 Hexa. The F450's GPS is mounted on the left rear arm. The F550 is mounted on the top plate between the two front motors. Both locations work well. I did adjust the GPS orientation to reflect my magnetic declination, 12 degrees in Las Vegas. Try it, you might like it.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
On my F330 I had to put a TX controlled switch in the power line for my video TX to get the GPS to acquire satellites in a reasonable amount of time, I start with the vtx off and then turn the power on when the GPS has full lock. After the first lock of the day it goes full lock within seconds of plugging a fresh battery in but cold boot up can take a few minutes especially when changing location by several miles. I'd look to see what might be causing interference with the GPS, that includes having the cable close to things like power feed wires or running over the top of and ESC.

Both the F330 and 450 have the GPS offset to the left to match the declination here, both did the TBE before realignment now they're rock steady in position hold. The 450 has the GPS on the short mast that comes with the Naza, the 330 is dead center on the top plate and roughly 7 inches off the deck on a custom made mast, the only way I could get enough distance between it and the vtx for reasonable operation.

Ken

Tahoe Ed

Ken, a friend of mine here in Las Vegas has the same problem with this vTx. I think that he is running 1.3gHz. I don't have the same problem, but I am using 5.8gHz. On my F450 I have two GPS units, the Naza and the EagleTree GPS for the OSD Pro. No interference with either of them.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Ken, a friend of mine here in Las Vegas has the same problem with this vTx. I think that he is running 1.3gHz. I don't have the same problem, but I am using 5.8gHz. On my F450 I have two GPS units, the Naza and the EagleTree GPS for the OSD Pro. No interference with either of them.

The F330 is a 5.8 600mw Immersion vTX, the frame is just too small to get any reasonable amount of distance between things that can interfere with each other. The F450 was the same setup until this evening when I swapped to an EZUHF and 1.3 gHz video system, I'll be heading out to the flying field tomorrow for the first operational tests with the new gear. I fully expect the GPS to be slow acquiring satellites with the new electronics onboard, may have to install a switch setup similar to what I have on the 330 to speed up that initial lock.

Ken

Sorry to thread jack but could you guys point me to this declination site and possibly tell me how to get somewhat a perfect alignment... Ed your 12 degrees offset but how do u figure, not by eye obviously

thehatguy

Attachments

• declination map.jpg
    declination map.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 286
Last edited by a moderator: