My experience with screw type Quick Release Prop Adaptors:-

Quick Release Prop Adaptors:-
My first time using larger carbon props 15", I know this is not really large as others are going much further.

I wanted to be able to remove my props for transport, I read quite a bit on folding prop systems and the vibrations they cause so decided to go for the screws type adaptor (left and right hand thread).

I also read quite a bit about these and how some people also suffered from bad vibration after fitting them (from my experience with the lack of quality I can understand why).

I know how critical it is to have a well-balanced prop assembly system.

The first adaptors I ordered came from HiModel, the quality of finish was quite good, threads had a little more clearance than I would have liked but because they lock down to a small taper at the base of the thread I thought this would not matter as the taper would centralise the two halves. I then mounted the adaptors onto a 4mm dia shaft and checked for concentricity using a dial indicator, shock and horror these adaptors were running out by 10 thousandths of an inch.

All the web pages selling this type of adapter will tell you they are CNC machined, yeah right but how I thought.

With so much run out these adaptors for me were unusable, thats $25 down the drain.

Next the same type screw adaptor from Infinity Hobby, be warned these are absolute crap and I did not receive the same type as pictured. The mating threads are very loose and I mean really sloppy, some of the adaptors were not de-burred properly and therefore did not mate well when screwed together, I did not even bother to check concentricity, put them straight in the bin.

Last but not least adaptors from DronesVision, I could hardly believe the contrast, excellent finish very clean machining, the mating threads are very firm with just enough clearance so threads do not bind but no looseness, the set comes with tube inserts for 3mm and 3.175mm shafts (so suitable for 4mm 3.175mm or 3mm shafts). I then checked for concentricity with my dial indicator, they are perfect with less than a quarter of a thousandths of an inch movement on the needle.

You get four adaptors for $13.50 (2xcw & 2xccw) including the tube inserts for centralising on shafts smaller than 4mm, like SunnySky motors, once centralised and your screws are tight you can remove the tube insert.

After the crap I purchased and the wasted money spent I thought in case anyone is looking for good adaptors and to save them the anguish of buying something that really is not fit for purpose I thought I would write about my experience.

I am in no way affiliated with anybody or anything this is just my personal experience.

Regards - bruce

kloner

Aerial DP
I am new to the quick release too, came across them on the new tbs 400 kv long range motors built into the shaft. Sure is nice to just pop em off when you don't need them on, saves alot of hanger rash for sure.

that site is incredibly hard to find these, can you post a link?

I know rc timer was the "first" to offer these and alot of fpv people used them,,, i haven't tried getting more but i want to

Quinton

What are they anyhow?
I am having a bit of a nightmare with my T-Motor 3515-15 prop adapters.
The long shafts are fine for wooden props, but the minute you goto Tiger props the shaft is not threaded all the way down, so there is not enough thread to use them on.
When you use the short prop adapters they are too short to get a nyloc nut on, and your washer is on the thread so its not exactly tight.

http://www.dronesvision.net/en/prop...-motor-m8-cw-prop-adapter-set-for-mt3515.html these are the long ones
http://www.dronesvision.net/en/prop...-for-mt3520-mt3515-work-with-carbon-prop.html and these are the short ones.

If anyone knows a good prop adapter I would like to hear, but be warned if anyones considering the 3515s

Hi Kloner, baja-king, Quinton, the type in the video are the ones I am talking about, sorry I did not link to the sites, also I meant to post this under "Multi Rotor Copter General Discussions" too late at night here I guess.

baja-king's link is the right one

Those from RC timer also look good but I do not have any so can not comment on quality. I like the fact they have countersunk screw holes for attaching to the brushless motor, that's a plus to help centralise the adaptor on the motor if the motor shaft size is less than 4mm and you do not have a tube insert.
regards - bruce

Quinton

What a great idea, unfortunately the original prop adapters have to be used with these things, why aren't all motor manufacturers using these as standard instead of having to jump from 6, 8 or 4mm size holes

Pumpkinguy

To update this thread.

The drones vision and foxtech came from the same unknown maker. The old design is now sold out and it has been replaced with the newer version. I ordered some because I needed more "top halfs" the side that goes on the prop. Even with the extra holes it is still very beefy. The bottom half on the other hand looks like there is nothing left. I'm sure they are fine but I just dont like the look of them. View attachment 25784

Attachments

• 20150807_164527.jpg
    20150807_164527.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 482