Multirotors are NOT Submarines.

HexaTiger

I just finished building my DJI F550 equipped with NAZA Lite w/ GPS, E300 Propulsion System, DJI landing gear, Sky Lipo 5500mah 4s, Fr Sky X8R Rx, and Fr Sky Taranis.

After a few weeks of flying near the house I decided it was time for something a little more interesting. I was out flying near a lake, after a few minutes of hovering I landed the craft and decided to fly around a peninsula. I took off about 30ft. above the water when all of a sudden the hexa tilted at a 45 degree angle and headed straight for the water. I punched the throttle all the way up to try and get it to shore, and it hit a pine tree, bounced down the hill and into the water. At this point I was half way from my launch point to the hexa. Luckily it came to rest on a rock about 5 feet underneath the water. Anywhere else and it would have been gone to the bottom which is nearly 80 feet deep.

Since I recovered the hexa I've thoroughly dried every thing. The battery did not short (thankfully), and the motors all seem to be in good condition. A week later I powered it up (props off) and tried to test it out. Two ESCs began pouring out red smoke so those are shot. Besides needing some new landing gear, a new top frame board, and one new white arm everything else seems to be in good condition. Obviously flying over water without any form of flotation/water protection isn't the brightest idea, but I trusted the equipment on the hexa to function properly for long enough to get a nice little flight in. Clearly, being new to multirotors, my first mistake was to trust that everything would function properly EVERY time.

My main reason for posting is to ask if there are any other potential damages/problems I should be aware of before I fly again. I'm clearly very lucky to have recovered my hexa AT ALL, but now that I've got it back I can't wait to get it back in the air. Thankfully I hadn't yet graduated to photography and didn't have any equipment on the F550 yet. Without being too critical of my absentminded flight path, I'd love any pointers on how to make this hobby fun, exciting, and SAFE. Also any water proofing/flotation ideas you have or have seen would be awesome.

Based on my analysis:
Needed Parts:
2x E300 ESC
1x White DJI F550 ARM
New Landing Gear (maybe not DJI?)
1x DJI FRAME BOARD (TOP) - I've noticed they only come in sets, so maybe keep the bottom board as a spare?

Thanks,
Tiger

kloner

Aerial DP
that's pretty much it as far as stuff to look for, usually esc's are the only loss.

some people like pool noodles things, but it's super un aerodynamic, but floats alot for the lengths it takes.

Ronan

that's pretty much it as far as stuff to look for, usually esc's are the only loss.

some people like pool noodles things, but it's super un aerodynamic, but floats alot for the lengths it takes.

101 uses of pool noodles lol

OP sounds to me like the quad was switched to manual or something came unplug/etc. did you have a logging device like a iosd MK ii on it or even a camera? Would be nice to know what happen.

HexaTiger

I can confirm the craft was in GPS mode, and it still wigged out. The more I think about it, the more I become concerned that I can't prevent it from happening again.

JoeBob

Elevation via Flatulation
3 Water Bottles and 2 arrow shafts for you amusement:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

FWIW - They work. I've used them twice.

Once when I was FPV and trying to get low enough to hide the sun behind some trees. My spotter's nose was in the ground station and he didn't warn me that I was landing on the water. Took off immediately, but I don't recommend it. When I brought it to the shore, there was water sprayed everywhere from the rotor wash. Liquid tape saved me from shorting.

Second time I flew out the battery and was trying to bring it back. Slow speed forward landing tipped it slightly on its nose and the GoPro was underwater when I got to there. 2 days packed in the rice! Everything works. Rice grains will get into the motors...

So I modified the layout to have more flotation out front:
attachment.php

6.3 Ounces, with the labels removed. 10 minutes flight time.
It flies fine and I think that the yaw movements are smoother with the gear attached.

Attachments

• Front Toons.jpg
    Front Toons.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 276
  • Toons Above.jpg
    Toons Above.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 231
  • Toons Back.jpg
    Toons Back.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 231
  • Toons on End.jpg
    Toons on End.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 252
  • Toons Now.jpg
    Toons Now.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 232

HexaTiger

That is glorious Joe. I'll have to try and rig up something DIY. The aerodynamics (or lack thereof) of pool noodles interest me greatly. The amount of buoyancy provided compared to the relative weight of the noodle is pretty fascinating. I'll be spending more time on this when I get the craft back into working order. I ordered my replacement parts today. Any recommendations on Liquid tape, just any old brand? Thanks for the help and insight guys. Also, any cheap place where I can get "gyro tape" or any kind of double sided sticky pad to adhere my Naza and Rx to the board?

nealj4

Hey Hexatiger, I had my hex take a swim last year as well. Only had one esc go up in smoke after I dried it out but I replaced all 6. Just the thought of that unknown down the road if the others start to deteriorate from the internal corrosion over time and I start to have unexplained failures and crashes ?? Just a thought. Also, I agree the rice trick works great.