Latest SimonK firmware compatibility with pancake motors

Rich28

Hello,
Is the latest version of the SimonK firmware released on 2014-06-18 compatible with pancake style motors? No syncing problems?
I have Afro 30a escs and would like to know if they will be fine with Multistar 3508-640KV motors using the latest SimonK firmware.I havent been able to find any info on this regarding the newer firmware versions. Thanks

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
The information is scattered and for me, unreliable. I think that it really has to so with whether the ESC works well with the particular motor, which makes it difficult to nail down to just the SimonK firmware. Some people have had no issues, while others have had nightmares with the same firmware.

Based on what I've read - you may have a better chance just based on the fact that the motors are only 14pole - as opposed to high pole count motors like 24pole.

good luck and fly safe.

kloner

Aerial DP
I didn't have any luck with the og, march or june versions and maytec esc's. there claimimg blheli works

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Or should I be looking at maybe some turnigy plush esc's with the BLheli firmware? Cheers

Lit seems that maybe the BLHeli have less issues with this - but I haven't dealt with them personally. I'd love to hear the results though.

Rich28

So what esc's and firmware are people successfully using with pancake motors? Ive been scratching my head with this for a while now.. Im building a rig for AP work.

kloner

Aerial DP
matching brands is whats working.... t-motor and t-motor, kde and kde,,, read manufacturer websites for recomendations....

in general the hobbywing stock always work, leave all the fancy firmware off em.... best advice is to test em on the bench, it's obvious moving the throttle around with a prop when theres a problem

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I finally just went with a KDE setup for the reason Kloner mentions. If they don't work with their own ESCs - what will they work with??? :)

Rich28

Yeah thats fair enough! If I could order again then I would stick with the same brands for both motor and esc as suggested. Good lesson. As it stands, I have a bunch of afro 30a esc's and multistar 3508-650kv motors on their way. With the bench tests (which I will do), is there a good chance any problems that might be present will show themselves? or may they only become apparent later down the line when my hexa is airborne carrying its precious cargo- less ideal..

My goal is to lift a nex5 or similar camera on a brushless gimbal. Will be using 13x6.5 props on 4s with this setup on a tarot 680pro frame (AUW 4kgs on the safe side). Now that Ive spend my money Im starting to wonder that maybe I should have increased the tarot's arm length, got motors with a lower kv rating and swung bigger props.. Do you reckon this is necessary, or do you think my initial setup will be ok? Its amazing how you think you have it all sorted and then some new problem comes out the wood work!

Hi Rich28, am building the same Tarot Pro and am only going to use gopro gimbal and with two 5.8 amp zippy 6S batteries I estimate mine will weigh in at 4.9kg (AUW). This is with everything, FPV gear, Eagle Tree kit, naza2 with Iosd Mini etc.

Because of the weight I decided to get the longer arms with SunnySky 3508-20 380kv motors and Hobbywing platinum 30a pro ESC using 15" props.

I wanted more efficiency, am tired of 8 to 10 minute flights, hoping this will give me 20 minutes.

I initially thought of using 4S as all my previous stuff runs on them, but when I looked at amperage draw and efficiency decided to go 6S.

Good luck with your choices, no doubt it will work.

Regards - bruce

gtranquilla

RadioActive
I am using the 22 pole T-motor 4012-11 400KV with the Turnigy Multistar OPT 45 Amp ESCs...... no problems at all........ about 20 flights to date.

So what esc's and firmware are people successfully using with pancake motors? Ive been scratching my head with this for a while now.. Im building a rig for AP work.

Hexacrafter

Manufacturer
Forum,
I must chime in on this. Having worked with T-Motor, Maytech & Avroto to get the testing done to confirm what works on the U7, Avroto 3520 and a few other combinations, here is my advice:
1. Match Motor & ESC Manufacturer whenever possible. This is the ONLY way you will get manufacturer support if you run into problems. If using mismatched manufacturers this will lead to both blaming each other and no responsibility by either. Do this at your own risk.
2. If a specific Motor manufacturer does not manufacturer ESC, contact them and ask for a manufacturer tested & approved ESC match. This again should help with manufacturer support should you have a problem.
3. If a manufacturer cannot provide a tested and approved combination....DO NOT BUY THEIR PRODUCT.
4. I have asked both T-Motor and Avroto to post tested and approved ESC / Motor combinations for their products on their websites. This is in the works as it has been done for the U7. On this post, I further request/ challenge this of all other motor ESC manufacturers.
5. 10-20 flights with mismatched or unapproved combinations does not necessarily mean that a problem does not exist. We had a failure after 50 flights as the field conditions threw the motor/ esc out of time.

I hope this advice will help the forum members. HexaCrafter has already done recommended Motor/ ESC recommendations for our clients. I feel that all airframe/ aircraft manufacturers should do the same. Use the recommended and tested combinations and you know that they work.

Andrew