how much to wait between flights?

I've been flying for a live tv show an s900+a2+z15+gh4+lightbridge. We did 8-10' flights and wait for 10' in between, to avoid motors geting too hot, according to the recomendation of my pilot. Is this real neccessary? How much should I wait between flights? Is there a way to cool the motors?
many thanks

haha49

waiting is a load of crap.... If you over load it will get very warm and when they get hot hot they can cook the coil ie melt the protection around them that's why some motors are black inside and some look like copper (gets to hot it boils and cooks them) Now if it's warm it's fine if it's hot it's not. I just swap the pack on my F550 and throw anyother one on it I get 20 minute of flight time and I fly for 16 minutes per pack and I just stack 4 of them 1 after another. It all comes down to time. If your really worried about it just get a cheap gun that messures the temp.

I run 4s lipos they run cooler then 3s. It also gives you more lift and power but due to that extra lifting ability you can lift more then you should and stress it. But really it's not a big deal. If you run 6s lipos and 22v instead of 12 you get even more power more lift and it runs cooler. The downside with going up to a 6s is your more likely to have it short out.

stevemaller

Heavy Lifter
The downside with going up to a 6s is your more likely to have it short out.
What? That's ridiculous. Electricity is electricity. If your copter is put together haphazardly, it's going to eventually have issues. If it's well-built and you're using good batteries and other components, you're actually less likely to have issues like overheating. As a matter of fact, because 6S systems often run cooler than 4S systems on big copters, one of the most common problems (melting connectors) is actually less likely, as the current running through the wires at 6S is lower than at 4S to achieve the same number of watts at the motors.

eskil23

Wikipedia Photographer
In theory, higher voltage means higher risk for a flashover. However, 22 volts as well as 14 volts are still very low voltage, so if you get a short circuit with 6S you are going to have it with 4S too. You can bring up the problem again when you power your MR with 400 volt three-phase gas turbine generator.

haha49

What? That's ridiculous. Electricity is electricity. If your copter is put together haphazardly, it's going to eventually have issues. If it's well-built and you're using good batteries and other components, you're actually less likely to have issues like overheating. As a matter of fact, because 6S systems often run cooler than 4S systems on big copters, one of the most common problems (melting connectors) is actually less likely, as the current running through the wires at 6S is lower than at 4S to achieve the same number of watts at the motors.

It's just simpler if the conections are closer. Things happen wires cross ect. You have a higher cost with 6s by allot.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
The 6S vs 4S argument is not supportable by data. Both systems are only as good as the soldier joints, wire layout and materials used.
If you have a HEX carrying a GH4 and your 4S system fails at 100 feet (30.48M), your going to break just as much stuff as a HEX carrying a GH4 on a 6S system that falls from 100 (30.48M) feet.
:D

stevemaller

Heavy Lifter
The 6S vs 4S argument is not supportable by data. Both systems are only as good as the soldier joints, wire layout and materials used.
:D
Those two issues are orthogonal. I agree wholeheartedly with the second statement.
But there is plenty of data regarding the advantage of higher voltage power systems (6S, for example) being more capable.
In my case, when I upgraded my 4S octo to 6S, I had more lifting power, and the ESCs and motors ran considerably cooler.
It's basic math...if you need to get X watts to lift Y mass, you can get X in a number of ways, but higher voltage leads to lower current to achieve the same result. The batteries are heavier, but in my experience that is a fair tradeoff.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Those two issues are orthogonal. I agree wholeheartedly with the second statement.
But there is plenty of data regarding the advantage of higher voltage power systems (6S, for example) being more capable.
In my case, when I upgraded my 4S octo to 6S, I had more lifting power, and the ESCs and motors ran considerably cooler.
It's basic math...if you need to get X watts to lift Y mass, you can get X in a number of ways, but higher voltage leads to lower current to achieve the same result. The batteries are heavier, but in my experience that is a fair tradeoff.

Oh don't get me wrong. I whole heartedly believe 6S is better for heavy lifting, and if you get even heavier 8S and then 12S... it all has it's place. But the statement that ANY "S" rating has a higher tendency to fail is just not true.

stevemaller

Heavy Lifter
Oh don't get me wrong. I whole heartedly believe 6S is better for heavy lifting, and if you get even heavier 8S and then 12S... it all has it's place. But the statement that ANY "S" rating has a higher tendency to fail is just not true.
Thank you for clarifying that.

Dave_EP

We regularly fly batteries consecutively, stopping only long enough to change and get GPS/Home position again.

Maybe it's your pilot's way of not getting tired?

hifidiaries

This is more a courtesy to the pilot. Being a pilot myself and being on many TV's shows and National commercials, it's a high stress non stop gig. If you're flying ALL day long 5-10 minute breaks is no biggie. If it's a wait all day then fly 5 flights in a row, no need for breaks BUT pick yourself up a laser temp thermometer. I have one from snap on. You can aim it at motor, esc's etc. WHILE you're waiting, CHECK THE MOTOR SCREWS. I've had them fall out into the esc from constant use over the last year. A dab of blue locktite (NOT RED) is in order every few months.

I've been flying for a live tv show an s900+a2+z15+gh4+lightbridge. We did 8-10' flights and wait for 10' in between, to avoid motors geting too hot, according to the recomendation of my pilot. Is this real neccessary? How much should I wait between flights? Is there a way to cool the motors?
many thanks