HERCULES ESC Boards, Need help before Maiden Flight. Seems to have problems.

Hey Guys,

I am finishing up an AD8 Octo Build with the Hercules Boards. I Got the boards pre configured and such from Kopterworx. I am sending them an email also regarding this issue. I thought I would post here though in case someone else knows whats going on.

I have everything hooked up. When doing the motor test through Copter tools, each motor shows its wired correctly and spins in the proper direction.

When I plug in a Lipo to test it all out. I can turn the motors on, but they make weird noises, like cogging/chirping etc. If I move the copter around, it really starts to act weird. One motor even does a stop go sort of thing. I am trying to attach a video to show what I am talking about.

I am not sure if it acts like this because the motors are trying to stabalize the FC board or what. Maybe with props it all evens out as the props produce thrust giving feedback. If anyone knows if this is correct or not, please let me know. I did not want to put the props on until it was tested and for sure woking correctly.

I have the Spektrum satelites. Is there a way to get the ESC Temps and Error data to the OSD/kopter tool?

Here is a video (Really bad quality lol) Click on pic to watch video

Here is a pic send by Kopterworx showing how it should look. The top board's arrow faces forward with the front of the copter.

HerculesMotorLayout.jpg

Mine actually came assembled a little diffrent. Only the Bottom Board has the arrow facing forward, and the top board the arrow faces 90deg to the right. The motors are wired as in the following diagram. Im not sure if it matters or not.

HerculesConfigfromKopterworx.jpg

krleas

FPV Freak
I send u wrong picture. As i mention u on email. Here how must be.

About video i send u email.

View attachment 1773

About rotation of the board it doesn matter, but u must point arrow on Flightcontroler forward between 1 and 2.

And increase min gas in MK tools.

Attachments

• ad.jpg
    ad.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 510
Last edited by a moderator:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Concerning the general high pitched noise i wouldn't worry thats just FW.

Check my vid: http://vimeo.com/31166401 same thing.

The stuttering of that one motor is strange though. Is it only one or others ?
If its only that one hook up a different motor to that specific ESC unit that the stuttering motor is hooked up to right now.
If the same stuttering is happening again than we can address it to the hercules and have to work from there. If the issue with a different motor
doesn't happen its either the motor or something with the cables or gold connectors.

Remember though to hook up the motors correctly again after the I2c address flashing.

You can also try to reprogramming that one ESC unit that causes the issue. I am not sure which firmware krleas used but probably 24 deg FW 1 and
see if that changes something ! Again watch out as far as i understand for i2c you not only need the right firmware file concerning timing and FW on or off but also the right I2c address!

Boris

When you guys speak of Reprograming a single controller. Are you refering to One whole Hercules board, or a single motor on a hercules board. Is there 4 controllers on one hercules board?

I was advised to bump my min gas up a little in the Kopter Tool. I put the min gas at 12, and that seemed to get rid of the stop and go. It does look like some motors are spining slower than others at times.
If I apply a little throttle and do not touch it, they seem to spin/operate fine. But if I touch and move the copter, the motors will act up and start making weird noises, speeding up/slowing down. I assume this is in relation to the FC board and the motors wanting to staalize the copter right.

I have attached a couple more video from today with the MIN GAS set at 12.
How does it sound? Do you think it sounds OK enough to put props on and try a test flight?

As far as firmware, Which is the right firmware and timing settings, and what are the correct I2C address that I should be using?

Is there a way I can get the ESC temps to show in the Kopter tool?

krleas

FPV Freak
As see on video, everything is ok, put up props, check rotations, get heli in hand put like 15% throttel and check if gyros working good.
And u are ready to test.

I would never put full throttle without props.

U cant see temperatures on mktools. If u are using jeti or hot u can get expanders and temp sensors.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
patrick really check rotation no risks now. With the MK tool (motor test) its easy anyways to spin up every motor separately and see if its spinning correctly.

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
nice one patrick for your maiden flight. happy that things worked out with the hercules !

SWEEEEEEET. I threw the props on and took it up in my living room. This copter is Rock Solid. I am very impressed with the initial flight. I will get it out once the rain here stops, and give it a real good testing. Thanks again to everyone that helped me out on this. I have returned the favor by posting a Build thread here http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...-Photohigher-Professional-Heavy-Lift-AP-Build.

Heres the maiden flight :)