1. Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com! Are you new to multi-rotor helicopters or RC aircraft in general?

PLEASE BE SAFE when you fly and commit to the safety of people and property on the ground or in the air around you. For more info please check out

www.KnowBeforeYouFly.org

or their holiday video

Have any questions? Register at MultiRotorForums.com and post your questions in a new thread, we're happy to help you to be successful with your new "drone" purchase!
    Dismiss Notice

Gunters new octocopter build

Discussion in 'Multi-Rotor Build Threads' started by Gunter, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Gunter

Gunter Draganflyer X4

I have started design and getting components to the new octo.
    I am building it using aluminium, and anodising it a funky colour. I have found some boom clamps from a Razor 600E tail boom costing £4.99 for a set of 4...nice and cheap. They are also the perfect size, taking a 3/4" ali tube (19.1mm diameter) which looks nice and chunky.

I have bought jdrones 880kv motors and 30A ESC's from www.buildyourowndrone.co.uk

Here are some images that I modelled to make sure everything goes together okay. I will get the center plates water jet cut so they are nice and neat.

I also decided to house the esc's & power distribution on their own level, with enough space for airflow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gunter

Gunter Draganflyer X4

The Razor boom clamps fit perfectly:

[​IMG]

Motors and ESC's ready:

[​IMG]

Mocking up the motor on the boom

[​IMG]

ESC's soldered and ready to go in

[​IMG]

3. Pintac

Pintac New Member

Very nice. Just one suggestion that I had read in the past. It may not be a good idea to run the motor wires on the outside into the boom. If you land on the end, you stand a chance of cutting the wires.

4. Gunter

Gunter Draganflyer X4

Thanks for the comments Pintac. The wires will go inside the boom and come out at the end where the boom is. I am also busy redesigning the lower motor mount plate - it will be extended and folded up so that I can fit led's onto it. This will protect the motor wires...I'll post a pic a bit later.

Gunter.

5. Droider

Droider Active Member

And the flight controller?

6. Gunter

Gunter Draganflyer X4

I haven't decided yet, but thinking of the Wookong...looks the most stable but still doesn't have all the features I ideally want...I have had many sleepless nights trying to work out what FC to use!!

7. Droider

Droider Active Member

Have a chat with Geoff at Quadcopters.co.uk.. he loves it but also has vast experience on most of the controllers

Dave

8. Gunter

Gunter Draganflyer X4

I have re-designed the lower motor mount - shaved a bit of weight off then added some on! The round thing on the end is an ultra bright led from http://www.lightingforaeromodellers.co.uk/

[​IMG]

9. Gunter

Gunter Draganflyer X4

Cheers Dave, I might have to give him a call!

10. Pintac

Pintac New Member

Looks great!