Futaba dual receiver question

cbuk

I'm wanting to add a second receiver to my set up and am looking for a bit of advice.

I have just got a Futaba 14SG and R7008SB receiver. I want to run 8 channels through the R7008SB receiver; these will be the 7 I need for WKM control and 1 additional for retractable landing gear. I would like to make the 6 remaining channels available to a second receiver that I will use to control camera gimbal and camera.

My question is, in order for this to work, does the second receiver need to be the same as the first receiver – in other words, do I need to fork out another £100 for a R7008SB or can I go for a different, more budget receiver? If I can go for a cheaper receiver, what do I need to check compatability-wise? I've heard the FrSky receivers are Futaba compatable, would a cheap FrSky receiver do the job and not interfere with the primary receiver. I was thinking of something along the lines of http://www.t9hobbysport.com/frsky-tfr6-2.4ghz-fasst-compatible-receiver.

Quinton

Also depends on the gimbal you want to control.
There should be no problems using a cheap one, and for £20 its hard to go wrong.
I believe I read in the manual that the 14SG is capable of pairing with 2 x R7008SB receivers at the same time too, something to consider if you want a 1 man operation.
Might be also worth looking at a spare transmitter combination, like the Futaba 8FG which is also upgradable to a 8fg super which gives you 14 channels (Well worth the money)
I have the 14SG and the 8FG Super, which also works as a really good backup (I bought the 8FG 2nd hand)

ghaynes

cbuk if you are using the 7008SB then the second receiver MUST be another 7008SB. What makes the difference is the setting in the 14SG that picks what type of receivers you are using. 7008 uses only FASSTest 14-ch. You can use other RX's and use two of them to do what you want. Since you aren't using s.Bus it doesn't really matter what you use. You CAN bind multiple RX's. Besides the 7008 I have also run a pair of 6202SBW. I used s.Bus on one of them and normal ports on the other. Worked fine.

Primary difference is that the 7008 series has an s.Bus2 port so that you can use the telemetry functions from Futaba. If you aren't going to do that or aren't even going to use s.BUS then find the least expensive RX's that will do the job for you.

cbpagent72

I have the same transmitter and receiver as you, you do not need another receiver. Put the r7008 in mode d run the Wookong using sbus not sbus2 and your other channels will be open. I have Wookong, led lights, retracts and landing lights all working on mine plus I have a few channels to spare

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

cbpagent72

I'm wanting to add a second receiver to my set up and am looking for a bit of advice.

I have just got a Futaba 14SG and R7008SB receiver. I want to run 8 channels through the R7008SB receiver; these will be the 7 I need for WKM control and 1 additional for retractable landing gear. I would like to make the 6 remaining channels available to a second receiver that I will use to control camera gimbal and camera.

My question is, in order for this to work, does the second receiver need to be the same as the first receiver – in other words, do I need to fork out another £100 for a R7008SB or can I go for a different, more budget receiver? If I can go for a cheaper receiver, what do I need to check compatability-wise? I've heard the FrSky receivers are Futaba compatable, would a cheap FrSky receiver do the job and not interfere with the primary receiver. I was thinking of something along the lines of http://www.t9hobbysport.com/frsky-tfr6-2.4ghz-fasst-compatible-receiver.

I have the same transmitter and receiver as you, you do not need another receiver. Put the r7008 in mode d run the Wookong using sbus not sbus2 and your other channels will be open. I have Wookong, led lights, retracts and landing lights all working on mine plus I have a few channels to spare

Quinton

As long as you are using the Zenmuse, he did not say what gimbal he is using.

cbuk

Cheers for the reply guys,

To clear things up I am using the new besteady gimbal under a skyjib x4 running wkm and because there is no slip ring mechanism I cannot run cables from a receiver on the multirotor to the gimbal control board which is located below the 3rd pan/yaw axis; hence the reason for using a second receiver for 1 man operation. Two man operation is not a problem; I have a now redundant spektrum DX8 and compatable receiver that will be used by a second camera operator when necessary. My primary aim here is to set up a reliable 1 man operatiional configuration from the Futaba 14SG. Hence 1 receiver on the multirotor controlling channels 1-7 for the WKM and channel 8 for the retract landing gear (it would be nice to squeeze an extra channel for lights from this first receiver but I cant see thats possible). The remaining 6 channels will go through the second receiver.

As quinton points out, dependent on gimbal. I physically need a second receiver that is not attached to main multirotor frame.

7008SB does not have to be fastest14 chan, can be used with multi I am pretty sure.
Thanks for that Pete, I will do a bit of research this evening and check if this is true.

cbuk if you are using the 7008SB then the second receiver MUST be another 7008SB. What makes the difference is the setting in the 14SG that picks what type of receivers you are using. 7008 uses only FASSTest 14-ch. You can use other RX's and use two of them to do what you want. Since you aren't using s.Bus it doesn't really matter what you use. You CAN bind multiple RX's. Besides the 7008 I have also run a pair of 6202SBW. I used s.Bus on one of them and normal ports on the other. Worked fine.

Primary difference is that the 7008 series has an s.Bus2 port so that you can use the telemetry functions from Futaba. If you aren't going to do that or aren't even going to use s.BUS then find the least expensive RX's that will do the job for you.
Cheers Gary, this makes perfect sense. I will check that the R7008SB can only use FASSTest or whether it can also operate in just FASST mode.

Quinton

If you dont use the telemetry then you dont need to use the Fasstest mode, you can easily change to 7CH or Multi Ch

If you look at this chart it tells you what is compatible with the transmitter..
http://www.futaba-rc.com/receivers/air.html

Wouldnt imagine you can mix Fasstest with non Fasstest though.
R7003SB
R7008SB are the only Fasstest receivers.

deluge2

The 14SG can be set in any of 5 transmitter modes: FASSTest 14CH, FASSTest 12CH, FASST MULTI, FASST 7CH, S-FHSS. As noted by others, the 14SG can be used with other non FASSTest receivers by using the alternate modes.

However the R7008SB will only work with transmitters in FASSTest compatible modes. This gives choice of 18ch or 12ch on the 18MZ transmitter and 14ch or 12ch on the 14SG transmitter.

Steve

7008SB does not have to be fastest14 chan, can be used with multi I am pretty sure.

macc

sorry I know this is an old thread but if using 2 x R7008SB, in sbus mode, one for gimbal & one for wkm, without telemetry , 1st receiver in mode C & the second receiver in mode D. Do you set the radio 14SG to FASST multi or FASSTest14 or FASSTest12?

gael

With the A2 we have to use fasst multi. Is it possible to add a 7008sb on the zenmuse and use it for single man operator ? With all the function of the A2, there is not enough ways...

macc

Thanks ShackFlyer.. So what is the real difference between FASST multi on two receivers to FASSTest 14 on two receivers? sorry im switching to futaba from Arora9 so im a bit new to all the futaba stuff..

MacMan

I would like to know how to connect 2 Futaba 7008SB rx's to a DJI A2. I posted this question in another forum and received no responses. This is an old thread, but it looks like others were trying to do the same thing. Advice anyone?

Instructions are clear enough on how to connect (1) 7008SB to the A2. Simply connect it to the A2's X2 port and make the necessary selection in the assistant, but what do I do if I want to connect (2) 7008SB's to the A2? The A2 only has one X2 port. Do I somehow connect (cable) both 7008SB's to each other and then make one connection to the X2 port or does my linking the two 7008SB's as dual receivers in the Futaba 14SG allow them to communicate as one when connected by only a single cable to the A2's X2 port?

Can somebody explain this to me? Thanks