Quad4 Control Board V2.1
Quadrino Zoom
Gaui GU344
Hoverfly Pro, GPS, & Sport
DJI NAZA-M
DJI WooKong-M
MiKroKopter ME 2.1
ArduPilot Mega 1

After a lot of reading, I'm pretty sure the DJI and Hoverfly flight controllers are the top of the line, but what about the others? Are they good for the new MR pilot or even an experienced pilot? Would love to get some feedback on these controllers.

Thanks,

Frank

PaNt

Its so easy..!
HoverFly for smooth manual flying (great Support)
Wookong and Naza for great GPS
MK overall great system but too difficult for newbies and no Support At all.!

Murocflyer

Promoting Model Aviation
OK, removing MK from consideration. One thing we all need is product support.

Any advice on the others?

Thanks,

Frank

kloner

Aerial DP
naza is a pretty good controller for a new guy, makes you learn fast with all the features. the price is right, they generaly behave. wookong is an expensive naza. After flying both, i prefer naza. But if had to have waypoints, i'd get wookong, pretty much the only difference, and they make you pay for it. My only gripe about naza is how every now and then it throws a fit while i'm flying and tries crashing me.... seen it 4 times in thousands of flights.

I've seen ardupilot go and wasn't all impressed, been more impressed what i've seen from kk compared to that.

I have CC3d and Hoverfly pro here but haven't flown them yet. They'll all be in the sky by thanksgiving. Probably gonna hve something used for sale coming up shortly. if not one of them, it'd be a gps naza up for sale, about half off retail

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Been flying Mikrokopter for two years and there are a lot of good and bads associated with them but one thing they do very well is survive when a motor fails as I've had happen at least three or four times now. Each time I landed with no damage other than a cooked motor or speed controller.

Been flying Hoverfly for most of this year and the newest firmware is extremely good in terms of control and stability. The built in camera gimbal control is also very good, better than Mikrokopter by a lot. GPS is still an immature system though with no firm resolution in sight. Also not sure about motor out qualities with an oktokopter, had one incident where a motor bell let loose along with the attached prop, couldn't maintain control although I might have lost control after the prop/bell whizzed past my head.

If you're just starting out I'd highly recommend the Hoverfly PRO, it's going to be the standard issue flight controller on my heli's when my frame design is finally done. It's easy to set up, can be used as a beginner board but will also do everything you need (including 8 motors regardless of radio brand) as you begin to realize where you're going with things. They're working on the GPS issues now that the PRO's flying qualities are where they need to be.

NAZA with an F450 kit is a good package if you just want to test the waters and see what the hubbub is about. Just recommended one to a customer that I previously built an MK Okto for.

Bart

Bart

Last edited by a moderator:

flitelab

The Gaui GU344 I wouldn't bother with, it is a very basic board with no auto level. it is really outdated these days, a KK2 outperforms it for a fraction of the price.

NAZA with GPS is a good solid system that is fairly easy to setup.

The AQ50D is a good board for very easy setup with no need for PC but support is difficult outside the community and some resellers.

Right now I'd probably recommend KK2 for those that want to try things out o a budget and the NAZA with GPS for a good mid level setup at a decent price for the features.

Multiwii based boards are good value as well if you like to tinker and tune and play with software. the Quadrino is a really solid multiwii board with great support for the manufacturer. And the Quadrino GPS is coming soon as well.

I like my Hoverfly Pro. Flies great and easy to set up.

What does Warthox use? He's the aerobatic master of multirotors.

(Note: Wathox's flights are impressive because he has serious skills. He'd be killing it with any flight controller.)

flitelab

Warthox flies lots of different frames and controller but primarily multiwii based I believe. For his style of flying it is all gyro only since he is full aerobatic and an amazing pilot.

Razzil

I started on the Hoverfly PRO/GPS then eventually switched to Naza-M GPS. My main reason for switching was I'd rather spend more time in the field then stuck in front of a computer. Not to mention, system failures and crashes 'dialing' in your machine. That being said, I did learn a lot, and currently in the process of getting that Hoverfly another go as I realy did like the smoothness when flying it. GPS features on the other hand, the Naza wins hands down IMO. If I were to recommend a flight controller board between the Hoverfly Pro and DJI Naza .. it would be the Naza. Price wise, and the most safest for somebody starting out.

Stacky

Its been over 6 months since my last problems with my HFP and that was due to me having a poor thrust to weight ratio. Its been 18 months since I had an issue that was a problem with the HF itself and it was fixed within 2 days of my reporting the firmware issue. On my last check I have built 10 different configurations or sizes of multi with my HFP and each and every one has flown perfectly from first bit of soldering to the first time I spun the props. I have a problem with my most recent build which is a yaw issue and thats turned out to be a faulty esc. I find it an incredibly easy FC to set up and get flying but the biggest mistake most people make is not reading the manual.
The NAZA is great value for money, enjoyed it when i had it.

Murocflyer

Promoting Model Aviation
naza is a pretty good controller for a new guy, makes you learn fast with all the features. the price is right, they generaly behave. wookong is an expensive naza. After flying both, i prefer naza. But if had to have waypoints, i'd get wookong, pretty much the only difference, and they make you pay for it. My only gripe about naza is how every now and then it throws a fit while i'm flying and tries crashing me.... seen it 4 times in thousands of flights.

I've seen ardupilot go and wasn't all impressed, been more impressed what i've seen from kk compared to that.

I have CC3d and Hoverfly pro here but haven't flown them yet. They'll all be in the sky by thanksgiving. Probably gonna hve something used for sale coming up shortly. if not one of them, it'd be a gps naza up for sale, about half off retail

Great feedback. Removing ardupilot from consideration.

Thanks,

Frank

Murocflyer

Promoting Model Aviation
The Gaui GU344 I wouldn't bother with, it is a very basic board with no auto level. it is really outdated these days, a KK2 outperforms it for a fraction of the price.

NAZA with GPS is a good solid system that is fairly easy to setup.

The AQ50D is a good board for very easy setup with no need for PC but support is difficult outside the community and some resellers.

Right now I'd probably recommend KK2 for those that want to try things out o a budget and the NAZA with GPS for a good mid level setup at a decent price for the features.

Multiwii based boards are good value as well if you like to tinker and tune and play with software. the Quadrino is a really solid multiwii board with great support for the manufacturer. And the Quadrino GPS is coming soon as well.

Cool! Some more good feedback and another off the list.

Thanks,

Frank

Murocflyer

Promoting Model Aviation
Thanks to the others as well for the feedback. It looks like we are down to a short list of:

Quad4Control Board V2.1
QuadrinoZoom
HoverflyPro, GPS, & Sport
DJINAZA-M
DJIWooKong-M

That was pretty quick work. Appreciate the info provided so far. I think the only one left that was not commented on was the Quad4. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks,

Frank

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I started on the Hoverfly PRO/GPS then eventually switched to Naza-M GPS. My main reason for switching was I'd rather spend more time in the field then stuck in front of a computer. Not to mention, system failures and crashes 'dialing' in your machine. That being said, I did learn a lot, and currently in the process of getting that Hoverfly another go as I realy did like the smoothness when flying it. GPS features on the other hand, the Naza wins hands down IMO. If I were to recommend a flight controller board between the Hoverfly Pro and DJI Naza .. it would be the Naza. Price wise, and the most safest for somebody starting out.

This makes no sense as the Naza has a ll kinds of gains that need to be spot on. The Hoverfly has 2 gains. You can also adjust those gains from the tx instead of having to plug into the computer each time. I have the Hoverfly pro and as long as they dont change how it currently flies I am never leaving them. Plus, the hoverfly team is the ONLY business doing this that will talk to you on the phone.

VINHEX

I fly the WKM on an F550 and love it.. It's all new to me so went for it. I wasn't sure on the frame so I knew if I brought the WKM I could change to the s800 if I wanted to. There are issues with firmware releases some say they work some don't. It might be me not pushing to the limits due to be new to it all, it does want I want it too, however some experienced guys on know what their talking about and can fly multis to the extreme.. If want to do tricks Naza F440 seen some cool stuff being done, I'm an easy flyer photography type person so WKM F550 FPV just added more fun to my basic needs.

Vin
DJI F550
DJI WKM
DJI DataLink 2.4Ghz
3s 3300
3s 5000
Aeroxcraft Landing Gear
Graupner 10x5 e-Props
Spektrum DX8
AR8000 Receiver
TM1000
Fatshark Attitude SD
Sony Exview Had II CCD 650 Line Sony Effio-E
Fatshark Spironet Antenna's
DJI iOSD

Razzil

This makes no sense as the Naza has a ll kinds of gains that need to be spot on. The Hoverfly has 2 gains. You can also adjust those gains from the tx instead of having to plug into the computer each time. I have the Hoverfly pro and as long as they dont change how it currently flies I am never leaving them. Plus, the hoverfly team is the ONLY business doing this that will talk to you on the phone.

It makes loads of sense ...

The Hoverfly Pro+GPS requires a higher level of expertise to work correctly, and by that I mean GPS functionaltiy. Getting it to fly is easy.
The DJI Naza-M GPS is easier to work with and provides better GPS results for a beginner in my opinion.

My comments were regarding getting the GPS 'dialed' in correctly. I didn't say GPS, but I meant it. I thought you would have gotten that from my response.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Thanks to the others as well for the feedback. It looks like we are down to a short list of:

Quad4Control Board V2.1
QuadrinoZoom
HoverflyPro, GPS, & Sport
DJINAZA-M
DJIWooKong-M

That was pretty quick work. Appreciate the info provided so far. I think the only one left that was not commented on was the Quad4. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks,

Frank

Frank,

Where do you figure you'll be in a couple of years with this? Fun or for-hire?

An important thing to consider is that if you start with one particular board and stick with it then it will be very intuitive for you in the future to makes tweaks and changes for the better. This is a big plus for the Hoverfly PRO. It can be used to fly for fun but can also perform as good or better than any other controller. Our most recent contest winner Ben Rowland was flying a PRO board on his prize winning Oktokopter.

Knowing the firmware inside and out makes it easier to later tweak and refine how your heli flies. It's a big plus to be able to use the board you buy today on later builds down the road and to be able to think in terms of how the firmware thinks when it's time to tweak and refine things.

If it's all for fun then it's a bit less important I suppose.

Bart

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Great feedback. Removing ardupilot from consideration.

Wow, that was quick. One comment from a guy who has not even flown it?

So what exactly didn't you like about it? Who did the setup? Do you know that it was setup correctly? Which version of the code? I think it's somewhat disingenuous to make a statement like this based on... what exactly? You saw some guy, fly some code, and...?

Been flying Mikrokopter for two years and there are a lot of good and bads associated with them but one thing they do very well is survive when a motor fails as I've had happen at least three or four times now. Each time I landed with no damage other than a cooked motor or speed controller.

This is, IMO, a very important factor which is not discussed enough.

I tested this with Arducopter on my Octo with very good results as well. It flies with one motor dead... you almost wouldn't know there was a problem. I've actually been trying to figure out how to reliably detect this and signal the operator, because if you can't see the motor is stopped due to distance, you might not know. In fact, I have even flown it with 2 motors stopped. I removed the other prop 135° from the first, to give it a fighting chance. That went pretty well, a bit juddery, but not bad. I then removed a third prop. I actually got it up off the ground like this, but it was hard to control it's path so I landed before I hit something. Still, you could nudge a crash to occur in a particular direction like this.

Yesterday was the first weekend with good weather in a few weeks where I'd have the opportunity to fly the Octo and film it properly with an actual camera operator instead of a tripod in the dark. I wanted to show off the latest of Arducopter and how the Overlapping Octo flies (very well). But first I clamped a Contour to it just to see if I could get usable video. Unfortunately it suffered an in-flight failure, the canopy was not restrained well enough, and during a high speed dive, it flew off. The resulting carnage damaged ~4-5 propellers, and worse, one of the motors rotated on the boom producing a strong yaw thrust. Amazingly, the aircraft actually remained airborne. The problem was this thing is so overpowered, and it was trying so hard to stabilize itself, that the motor thrust was keeping it aloft. I couldn't bring it down. The only thing I could do was actually shut the motors off and let it fall (you'll hear me pulse them a few times), and try and re-engage power to stop it before it impacted. It didn't work as once it started tumbling it was all over.

I hesitate to post the video as it's not exactly great advertising for the system. People must remember I am a developer, not a normal user. I test code, push the limits, and this was also a prototype scratch-built airframe. Many of my videos are of failures rather than successes because I'm usually trying to show interesting failures. As the video says, excuse the jello, the camera was simply clamped to a boom. But if you can see through the jello, you'll get an idea of the stability and dynamic performance of it before the failure occurs.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Here's a much better example of the "normal" stability of Arducopter.