F450 Battery

skipper1

Noob here, DJI Flame Wheel F450 kit will be here soon. I'm getting the version that allows for 4S batteries. What mah should I be looking at? And what batteries seem to be the most successful for you?

Tahoe Ed

With the 4S you need to use the 8" props. I tried a 4S 4000mah and I think it is too heavy, 3000mah might be better. With 3S and 10" props, I get about 8-8:30 in flight times on a 2650mah battery. I would say that is pretty close to ideal for what I am looking for.

mailman35

i recently got 2 4000mah's and im getting 12-14min depending how how hard a fly it. still playing with the gains to find a level thats good for me.

skipper1

With the 4S you need to use the 8" props. I tried a 4S 4000mah and I think it is too heavy, 3000mah might be better. With 3S and 10" props, I get about 8-8:30 in flight times on a 2650mah battery. I would say that is pretty close to ideal for what I am looking for.

Thanks for jumping in there, Ed. Your post with the video on how to build the 450 is what nudged me into getting one. You certainly do make it look easy.
Here's a question. On the newer 450's, you you have your choice of using either 3S or 4S, just make sure you have the correct size props? If that's the case, I might just stick with the 3S but is nice to have a choice.
What size of 3S batteries (mah) are you using and is there any specific brands that seem to last longer?

Last edited by a moderator:

mailman35

the kit comes with both 8's and 10's so u are good there just gotta get a good charger for the lipo's
its a fun thing to fly:p
i got 5 bats and i was out for 90 or 120min today :p

mailman35

yeh the 4000's where a pain to solder up to the deans connector, had to strip then trim down the available wire then tin it, and then solder it up.
and yeah tahoe eds review is what sold me, i was looking at the fyetech x4pro but then i started reading the iffy reviews on teh fc's made me think differently :p

as far as the lipo's hobbyking has good deals, you wanna look for the 40-60c's imho. just select the us warehouse for quick delivery :p

skipper1

I was about to go for the Gaui 500, I think Ed probably saved me. So, mailman, was your build pretty straight forward with minimal problems? How was the software set-up? I watched a video today on that and I think I can do it. (I'm trying to build my confidence, I've never done anything like this and I'm a little nervous).

OK, I think I'll stick with 10" props and go with the 3S batteries. There are so many variables that I really don't know which to get. I tried looking up some 3S 2650mah 30c at hobbyking and nothing comes up. Maybe I'm looking for the wrong bat?

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I use 3S 5000 packs on mine and they're good for 16 to 18 minutes easily. I lowered the threshold on the voltage monitoring to see how far I could push it and got to 21 minutes with the same pack. Using a pair of 3S 5000 in parallel and 10 x 5 Graupner props I almost made it to 29 minutes before it hit LVC. Mine is the 3S only version but it can carry a pair of 3S 5000 packs no problem which is funny because the batts weigh almost as much as the F450 does but the extra weight smooths it out quite nicely. If I'm just going for a short flight with the GoPro tied on I use 3S 2650 Turnigy packs and get 10 minutes no problem. You don't need a high C rating, it doesn't drain the battery very fast to need it, even if you're doing aerobatics in manual mode.

Ken

mailman35

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._2650mAh_3S_40C_Lipo_Pack_USA_Warehouse_.html i got 2 of these, http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._4000mAh_3S_40C_Lipo_Pack_USA_Warehouse_.html and 2 of these. i would rather go with the 4000's but with the 4s's you get more thrust as the motors spin faster.

and if you have never flown before i suggest a sim, i use the aerosim rc. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._4000mAh_3S_40C_Lipo_Pack_USA_Warehouse_.html
been talking to the dev to see if he can put in some x config quads and maybe a dji flamewheel.

also get a decent solder station too. you will need it. http://www.amazon.com/Weller-WLC100...28UC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325013857&sr=8-1

VfdbM.jpg

h72rF.jpg

quad with a broken arm

also waiting for some anti vibration tape to mounting the fc to.

skipper1

You won't believe this but I got the Weller WLC100 last night and one of the engineers at work gave me some solder. I'm practicing soldering this weekend.
I have the Phoenix and I've been flying the Gaui 330 plus I have the Blade mQX. To me, the mQX seems to be too light, the wind catches it and it's gone.

I've read that you need to get different props for this thing and have heard the Graupner's are the ones to get. You know, I'd be very happy to fly for 10 minutes, how can you complain about that?

mailman35

yeah i hear the same im sticking with the stock dji's for now im not good enough to get the expensive props yet, also waiting on my proper balancer to get here, but those grapners are hard to come by too.
i think the blade is similar to the ar drone, which i got and promptly broke :p

Tomstoy2

Hey Skip, glad to see you here! As I said, this is the hot spot for multi's. Great guys, and always available to give advise. More than happy to 'go the extra mile' to get your issues resolved. And, there are a lot of issues, this is all 'black magic', ( AI ), after all.

4s will give you the ability to turn large props at better efficiency than 3s and a smaller prop. There are always trade-off's. A large prop gives you lighter disc loading, making it more responsive, which the areobatic guys love. However, it can also cause the flight controller to overshoot causing a wobble, which us video guys dread.

So, to start with, a smaller prop would probably be best. Get the feel for it, then once you are familiar with it, try a larger prop and see how she reacts, whether it meets your tastes or not.

On batterys, I wouldn't hesitate to go with 4s and 8" props, it will give you better efficiency and flight times. Another side effect is the added weight can be a benefit, offering better stability.
The aerobatic guys want their ships to be as lite as possible and fly on the edge of control. Us video guys want as stable as possible.

So, you see, the trick here is to decide what you expect to do with your ship and design it for that purpose.

Really glad to see you doing your homework. Who would have ever thought all that harping your parents gave you about homework was really right after all?

skipper1

Hi there Tom,
Yeah, this battery thing can really get confusing. Thanks for taking time out to explain things. You are right, i need to start off with the 8" props & 4s battery until I can get a good feel for everything and then do a little exploring.

You know, I just want to fly around and have some fun. The first time I ever saw a quad with the GoPro, I was mesmerized. I said to myself, I want to do that. Where else could you get video like that without hiring the local traffic reporter to take you up in his copter and shoot some video.

OK, back to batteries. Turnigy, 4S ?mah. More on this later. Thanks to everyone for helping this poor lost soul. The light will come on, eventually.

skipper1

I'm tired of looking at batteries. Which do you think will best serve me? They are all Turnigy.

3000mah 35c $29.99
3000mah 20c $20.66
2650mah 30C $27.58
2650mah 40c $31.67
2450mah 30c $25.99

No, this not a game and you do not get a prize.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
you dont need 40 c for this thing! I have been flying 3s 5500 25c's on my large hex with gimbal/camera with zero problems. Maybe the math doesnt work out but having no heating issues or failures must account for something. But on a 450 quad there is no reason to think you need more than 20-25c ratings.

skipper1

One last battery question.....I hope.
I've ordered the DJI Flame Wheel F450, I see they recommend 2650mah. I see that some are flying with 5500mah. Do you think I can make myself happy with a Turnigy 3000mah 20c? I sure like the price, $1812.

skipper1

Thanks for the reply, mailman. I'm sorry, I'm getting so excited about everything. I meant to say Turnigy 4S 3000mah 20c. And, what about Hobby King, are they pretty quick about shipping your stuff?

mailman35

depends which warehouse you get it from. ive gotten all of my stuff from the us ware house in washington state, takes 2 or so days to get here. and im on the east coast :p