ESC burn mystery. Any Ideas?

So this is Steve from Flite Brothers and I finally built my very first 250 quad to start learning to race with Rich and his Tick Quad. Its a ZMR250 frame and because I was starting out, I had decided to go with a bargain setup to keep costs down for this first build. I went with a complete set of 4 DYS 1806 motors and DYS 10A BLHeli ESCs which were a pretty good deal. Unfortunately, I have experienced a complete mystery of a problem.

The first 4 esc's I had burned up (and burned out a few motors) within seconds of being plugged in the first time. I bought 3 2200 40c 3S batteries which I was using and the ESC's are rated for 2s-3s so it made no sense. I went ahead and ordered another complete set and waited to try again. The second set got installed, and tested out fine through cleanflight all while connected to one of my smaller 1300mah 3s batteries. Thinking I was good to go, I connected to one of my new 2200 batteries and puff! one motor and ESC instantly smoked! Rich had an extra 20a esc for me to try and having a few extra motors at this time, we replaced them and tried again. I plugged it into my 1300 3s and no problem. I got 3 successful flights in using only 1300 3S batteries and everything was working great. After the third flight, thinking once again that all was well, I pulled out one of the new 2200 3s batteries and plugged it in for another flight. Instant smoke from 2 esc's (I'm getting quite accustomed to the smell at this point).

So, obviously there is something wrong with these ESC's and I have now ordered some Spider 12a Simonk escs to replace them but seriously, this makes no sense.

Why would they work perfectly fine on a 1300 3S 20C battery and yet burn instantly when plugged into a 2200 3S 40C battery?? The voltage is exactly the same and they shouldn't draw any notable amperage just to boot up? Any ideas?

Notes: There were no screws shorted out to the coils, everything was well insulated from the carbon fiber frame and the polarity of the battery was correct.

burnedescs.jpg