Droidworx vs MK

ghaynes

So as a new guy maybe this is a can of worms question but would like to get opinions and the pros/cons of Droidworx vs MK frames/kits. Why do you have one or the other? Etc.

Thanks in advance.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
There really in on VS in it.

DroidWorx Makes frames for MRS.
MK Make an excellent flight control system for MRS

DroidWorx dont make FC systems
MK dont make frames.. well they make something that you can put their controller on and fly

There is really no comparison

Dave

BTW Welcomw to MRF..

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
I first purchased an MK Octo kit direct from the MikroKopter Shop (I later found out that the one I bought with the four arms splitting into eight with 'Y' joints was discontinued). The reason I bought it was that I came across a guy in the south of France who was just flying around the beach at a surf competition with his little MK Hexa. I was there with my massive petrol powered heli and his experience was so stress-free and simple.

I bought the kit because, not knowing the first thing about drones ... sorry, Multi-Rotors, I wanted everything required to be included. I actually preferred the look of the Droidworx airframes but knew nothing about motors, Flight Controllers or anything else. That MK Octo was designated toe-in-the-water status to see what all the fuss was about with these MR's. I was not keen to get involved with them because of the battery power - something I have consciously avoided because of the short flight times and the charging nightmare - but that guy on the beach just had such an easy time of it. Also, MR's of this size are very crowd friendly. They don't scare people with noise and vicious scything blades.

There was some initial trouble with the MK Octo that was down to MK quality control but once that was sorted I have to say it flew brilliantly. Nice and calm, very steady, no fuss.

But, I wanted to be able to carry a Canon 5D mk2 and the MK Octo was clearly not designed for that. The plan had always been to get a Droidworx frame if the MK Octo experiment went well. I bought a DW AD-8 HLE because it was widely touted as being capable of carrying a 5D. I stuck with the flat eight configuration because the MK Octo was kind enough to demonstrate how flat eights can stay airborne when a prop breaks. Sticking with the devil I knew, it is equipped with MikroKopter electronics and the recommended AXI 2814/22 motors. I also added the i2c isolator board for even more protection against a motor or controller going bad.

The Droidworx has been the subject of quite a number of posts as I tried to get it to stay in the air for an acceptable period of time without getting all hot and bothered. A few mods later it appears to be behaving much as it should.

So, to answer your enquiry this is my conclusion. The MK has a poor and flimsy airframe and is not conducive to too much modification or improvement. But it does work pretty well and is at the lower end of the price range. The Droidworx airframe is altogether more robust and rigid, plus it really looks the business. Their design is also more conducive to modification with more space to work with. Much more flexible altogether.

You can find lots of stuff about folks' preferences in Flight Controllers and electronics and trail-blazing new systems around these pages but for my money, despite their somewhat poor track record in customer care and quality control, the established and mature MikroKopter electronics do take a take a lot of beating. If you follow the instructions it does all work.

Last edited by a moderator:

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Owning versions of both here's my take, the Mk frames work well for the original medium size kits they built. I have an MK Hexa V1 that I keep in a pretty much box stock configuration. It does everything it is capable of very well, including flying a GoPro on it's basic 2 axis camera mount. Fun and relaxing to fly, it was my first "real" multi rotor and I'll probably never upgrade any of it or get rid of it.

On the flip side I built an MK framed X8 heavy lift and it was a flying disaster, the frame proved to be far too flexible to carry any significant weight and keep everything steady. I also have a Droidworx AD6 that started out as a standard V2 version and was fully upgraded to the H/L version. Originally using MK electronics the AD6 proved far more capable of carrying a heavy load with the degree of stability needed for doing APV work. I have just recently swapped out the MK electronics on the AD6 for a DJI Wookong-M flight controller and now it's very much like the MK Hexa V1, fun and relaxing to fly, the degree of stability is now well beyond what I could achieve with the MK electronics.

Overall the Droidworx frame is well suited to just about any high end flight controller you would want to use on it and capable of lifting significant loads without flexing as an MK frame would. The Mk frames work and are inexpensive but very limited in lifting capacity, older technology that worked well in its day but those days are behind it now.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator: