DJI X8 Options

I have built a few X8's by either modifying the DJI arm and adding an additional mount or using Tarot mounts, 16mm CF tubing and milling some old broken DJI arms.
Using 16mm X 320mm CF tubing I can cut them in half for an F450 or use the whole length for an F800

This is the results.

20acm6f.jpg

2ywy1c6.jpg

2mpx56c.jpg

2w5n2tl.jpg

This one doesn't really count but I do believe it's the only X8 Phantom out there.

wwajc4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Hey highgain, on your 450 x8 can you elaborate on how you put the second motor mount on? Looks like its just two screws? any details would be great.

The legs are milled off so that the surface is flat with the existing arm
The second mount is milled flat then put in the lathe to true it up.
I us 12mm Carbon Fiber tubing now to hold the 2 pieces in alignment which is a press fit and damn nears keeps them in place but 2 set screws are used just to stop any rotation.
Here's a pic with 2 different colors to see the difference and I was using 12mm nylon tubing here. Any hollow 12mm tubing will press in nice and tight.
The 2 set screws are ran through the 2 thickest parts of the mount.

b6ue61.jpg

Again please if you can write where you bougth them...¿ how affect the fly time? thanks

I make them using my mill and lathe
I use old broken DJI arms.

The flight time of an X8 is barely affected. With my Phantom and a 3S 4400 battery I get 15 minutes vs 17 minutes.
The lifting capacity is more than double though. Try to lift 2 pounds with a stock Phantom... It can't. This is 4.55 pounds of water.

Hi HighGain Tuning, this is really great the ingenuity of humans never ceases to amaze me. Nice piece of engineering with the DJI arms, I enjoyed reading this post and watching your videos.
Thanks and Regards - bruce

Hey Andrew...

Yes, I spend some time here. This forum doesn't operate like RC Groups.

edit: removed DJI reference as it isn't accurate anymore.

Hey Andrew...

Yes, I spend some time here. This forum doesn't operate like RC Groups but the DJI Shills are here also, especially Tahoe Ed.

Kicking someone from a forum is like denying free speech. Pathetic to say the least but this seems like a big forum I figured I would check it out!

Just trying to see what is up with this forum! Looks pretty good I just need to find where I would post a lot. Haven't found a dji owners thread yet!!

Hey guys... You can start a new thread... Or ask Bart to do it. He started a Stingray 500 thread for me. Hoping to get the Curtis Youngblood Stingray 500 soon. Sounds like they will be adding GPS, RTH etc. features to it . Makes for an awesome FPV ship. Take a look.

leofuica

I have built a few X8's by either modifying the DJI arm and adding an additional mount or using Tarot mounts, 16mm CF tubing and milling some old broken DJI arms.
Using 16mm X 320mm CF tubing I can cut them in half for an F450 or use the whole length for an F800

This is the results.

This one doesn't really count but I do believe it's the only X8 Phantom out there.

Hi, ¿do you put 2 ESC or 2 motors in one channel in NAZA, obviusly at the same time? I mean because you have NAZA in Phantom with 8 motors, in this case..¿you can use a Wookong with 8 motors but use only 4 channels and free the others 4 for trigger camera and move gimbal?

The NAZA-M has 8 channels and you can choose the X8 in the assistant. I use 8 ESC's and 8 motors.
I sandwich 2 ESC's together and run 1 large pair of wire for power.

14x32pf.jpg

bg92k6.jpg

se0nma.jpg

That won't work. DJI's X8 config turns all top rotors the same way and all bottom rotors the opposite way.
Not only that, you cannot parallel 2 motors together as they operate off of AC

Hey guys... You can start a new thread... Or ask Bart to do it. He started a Stingray 500 thread for me. Hoping to get the Curtis Youngblood Stingray 500 soon. Sounds like they will be adding GPS, RTH etc. features to it . Makes for an awesome FPV ship. Take a look.

Looks awesome! A lot more 3d ability than naza I see!