DJI S1000 Owners Thread - Mini Build Log

flight-6.jpg

I just received my DJI S1000 Premium. I thought I would share some photos of the build process. As you would expect and you should, the build quality is second to none. This is a complete new octo from the ground up. The S1000 V type design provides large amounts of thrust while improving power efficiency. I'm really excited to see the use of cf arms versus the plastic arms of the past. The most exciting part of this frame in my opinion is the folding capabilities. It makes transportation and storage a breeze for such a large frame. The locking system only takes a few seconds to fold or unfold, such a outstanding design. The S1000 comes about 80% complete, so the build process is very straight forward and FAST.

Frame Specifications:

Diagonal Wheelbase 1045mm
Frame Arm Length 386mm
Frame Arm Weight (with Motor, ESC, Propeller ) 325g
Center Frame Diameter 332mm
Center Frame Weight (with Landing Gear Mounting Base, Servos) 1330g
Landing Gear Size 460mm(Length)×511mm(Width)×350mm(Height) (Top width: 155 mm)

Motor Specifications:
Stator Size 41×14mm
kV 400rpm/V
Max Power 500W
Weight (with Cooling Fan) 158g

ESC Specifications:
Current 40A
Voltage 6S LiPo
Signal Frequency 30Hz ~ 450Hz
Drive PWM Frequency 8KHz
Weight (with Radiators) 35g

Foldable Propeller (1552/1552R) Specifications:
Material High strength performance engineered plastics
Size 15×5.2inch
Weight 13g

Flight Parameters
Takeoff Weight 6.0Kg ~ 11.0Kg
Total Weight 4.2Kg
Power Battery LiPo (6S、10000mAh~20000mAh、15C(Min))
Max Power Consumption 4000W
Hovering Power Consumption 1500W (@9.5Kg Takeoff Weight)
Hovering Time 15min (@15000mAh& 9.5Kg Takeoff Weight)
Working Environment Temperature -10 oC ~ +40 oC

Once I took the main frame out and removed the top shipping carton, I was amazed by 8 beautiful CF arms and motors. The motors are already attached and mounted with folding blades and blade holders. The blades fold just like a single rotor helicopters would, the blade holder is identical as well. The motors are installed above the 40a ESC's and all wiring is completed, the arms are truly PnP.

View attachment 16348 View attachment 16349

Attachments

• unbox-motor-2.jpg
    unbox-motor-2.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 512
  • unbox-motor-3.jpg
    unbox-motor-3.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 378
Last edited by a moderator:

The manual starts off with you installing the arms first. My building area is rather small so I decided to install the electronics first and then install the arms last. I chose to remove the top CF plate, this allows for an easier install of the A2. Once the top plate is removed you will have full access to the power distribution board. You have the 8 motor power connections, 8 esc connections and 2 XT60 connections on top. One of the XT60 connection will be used to power the A2 PMU and the other one is free to power another device. On the bottom of the main frame you will notice the 24 pin ESC header, main power wires / connectors and 1 more XT60. The XT60 will supply power to the retractable landing gear and another device like the ZEN. The main power connector setup is very different from what I have seen but it makes perfect sense. The positive side utilizes a AS150 and the negative side is a XT150. This makes it impossible to reverse polarity.

View attachment 16350 View attachment 16351 View attachment 16352 View attachment 16353

Attachments

• esc-con-1.jpg
    esc-con-1.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 377
  • power-disro-1.jpg
    power-disro-1.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 399
  • power-disro-2.jpg
    power-disro-2.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 378
  • esc-con.jpg
    esc-con.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 368

Next I installed the main controller and PMU. I found that installing the PMU in the above area works best, you might find a better location. I then stacked the IMU CAN BUS on top of the PMU. Now you want to connect the main controller to the 24 pin ESC header. Make sure you connect the yellow wired connector to M1-M4 and the brown connector to M5-M8. Now connect the retractable landing gear controller to the main controller via the supplied servo jumper wire. F1 Output (A2) IN (Retract Controller).

View attachment 16356 View attachment 16357 View attachment 16358

Attachments

• elect-final-4.jpg
    elect-final-4.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 579
  • imu-install-5.jpg
    imu-install-5.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 372
  • imu-install-4.jpg
    imu-install-4.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 415

Attachments

• elect-final-5.jpg
    elect-final-5.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 351
  • elect-final-7.jpg
    elect-final-7.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 367
  • elect-final-6.jpg
    elect-final-6.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 353
  • elect-final-8.jpg
    elect-final-8.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 342
  • iso-1.jpg
    iso-1.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 342

Attachments

• retrac-1.jpg
    retrac-1.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 335
  • retrac-3.jpg
    retrac-3.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 351
  • retrac-4.jpg
    retrac-4.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 315
  • retrac-2.jpg
    retrac-2.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 469

The landing gear assembly is really simple. Just make sure you get the keyed end of each landing strut inserted correctly. Once you attach the spring from the strut to the retract system, make sure the spring is approximately 70mm when extended. The landing gear travel has already been preset at the factory, so no need to touch the travel adjustments.

View attachment 16371 View attachment 16372

Attachments

• lg-1.jpg
    lg-1.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 422
  • lg-2.jpg
    lg-2.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 419

As you can see from the pictures above, the quality does not stop at the frame. The motor system is another example of some incredible engineering. The aluminum motor mount houses the ESC and acts like one big heat sink. The motor is attached to a damping system that should help eliminate any vibrations coming from motors and or blades.

View attachment 16373 View attachment 16374 View attachment 16375

Attachments

• motor-1.jpg
    motor-1.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 412
  • motor-2.jpg
    motor-2.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 487
  • motor-3.jpg
    motor-3.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 475

Installing the arms is incredibly easy. You first use the M4x35 screw to attach each arm. Wrap the power cable around the aluminum standoff and then connect it to the power distribution hub. Now connect the esc servo connector into the main board.

View attachment 16377 View attachment 16376

Attachments

• motor-5.jpg
    motor-5.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 388
  • motor-7.jpg
    motor-7.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 410

To lock the arms, Just bring them up and slide the lock until you hear a load click. This creates a solid lock with zero play. Once all arms are mounted you want to go through the A2 setup and complete the FC configuration. Please make sure you test all function including motor direction before your first flight.

View attachment 16378 View attachment 16379

Attachments

• motor-6.jpg
    motor-6.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 418
  • motor-8.jpg
    motor-8.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 446

My first impression after getting the s1000 dialed in was how smooth the craft is. Even with a steady 15mph wind she was rock solid. The A2's GPS hold was simply amazing. Even descending at a high rate was supper stable. Fast forward flight showed no strange behavior as well. The GPS lock is spot on and has a very surprisingly fast lock. This was my first flight with an A2 as well, this is all new to me
smile.gif

I currently have the A2 in intelligent landing gear mode. Still testing this mode out completely but liked it's features so thought I would enable it. I ran a few test on the landing gear and each time they preformed perfectly with no signs of binding or locking in either direction.

I flew the s1000 for 15mins and used just under 67% of my pack. It can fly forever w/o a payload. I have made over 12 test flights on this frame while I was waiting for my z15. This allowed me to build up trust in the A2 and other electronic components on the airframe. Everything has performed as expected. For a naked frame I found 170 Basic and 120 for ATTI felt really nice. These will defiantly change as I start to add some weight.

I'm currently in the process of installing the z15 and other components. I will be posting some in flight video and my final gain settings once I get some air time in with everything installed. I will keep the thread posted on any updates, GOOD or BAD as well. If anyone has questions or wants some pictures of something that is not posted, I will do my best to provide it.

View attachment 16384 View attachment 16380 View attachment 16381 View attachment 16382 View attachment 16383 View attachment 16385 View attachment 16386 View attachment 16387 View attachment 16388 View attachment 16389

Attachments

• fin-2.jpg
    fin-2.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 489
  • fin-3.jpg
    fin-3.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 608
  • fin-4.jpg
    fin-4.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 493
  • fin-6.jpg
    fin-6.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 526
  • fin-7.jpg
    fin-7.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 507
  • flight-2.jpg
    flight-2.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 477
  • flight-3.jpg
    flight-3.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 518
  • flight-4.jpg
    flight-4.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 501
  • flight-1.jpg
    flight-1.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 509
  • flight-5.jpg
    flight-5.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 602

Mick Koi

great thread and informative setup posts, I'm brand new to the world of UAV's but will follow this thread all the way...

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Good build review with good, in-focus detail photos. Maybe you should head over to Bart's new Product Review Thread!

Perhaps DJI have finally come of age with this airframe. I do like the increased access to the important bits whilst still maintaining their reasonably tidy installation ethos. Interesting that they do not consider tilting the motors for increased yaw efficiency important with this frame.

It will be interesting to see how robust the boom locking hinge and clip are in the long run.

I am happy for you that your A2 has not done anything destructive - yet. The jury is still out on the reliability of that Flight Control.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Nice looking heli (is it Ken?)

why does DJI position the IMU near the edge of the frame when the A2 manual says to locate it as close to the CG/center as possible?

thanks,
bart

sk8brd

hey blade what size packs were you running, looks like a nice design that fixed some of the issues on the s800's. Do the arms have any flex?

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
... why does DJI position the IMU near the edge of the frame when the A2 manual says to locate it as close to the CG/center as possible?..

The IMU has always been slightly off-centre with the S800's, and even further away from the CoG if the damping tray is used. However, there is a facility in the setup software where precise distances of IMU and GPS sensor from CoG are entered to accommodate this offset. Their recommendation is only to do with vibration levels, which they state are minimum at the centre of the frame.