DJI Photogrammetry - anyone help me get it to work?

dani_r

Hi guys,

I am struggling with this DJI Photogrammetry tool on my WKM.

I have got it to the stage where we load the flight plan etc, but can't get the camera to link up properly and take the pictures where it needs to. Clearly I'm missing something.

There isn't too much on the topic around on the net (none that I've found anyway).

Has anyone managed to get it to work?

My setup is PH AV200 (yeah yeah, I know...lol) on a Vulcan 1200mm Hexa with the full compliment of DJI toys. Futaba SBus connections. My camera is triggered with a Stratosnapper unit.

Any help much appreciated :)

Cheers

Dani

dani_r

Not a good sign then if not a single person can help me out here. No one has managed to get it to work then?

buddyrama

you have to set up the servo actions to trigger the camera at a particular time or distance. look under tools. It is in the manual too.

pls4air

we to are having trouble auto triggering the camera. we are using sony nex 7. I can trigger the camera manually by clicking trigger and reference photo but it will not take pictures automatically while in flight. we are using the 50 way point system. GS 4.8

can someone help explain the settings in servo action config box?

leofuica

WELL WELL WELL
Finally i found a treasure.....point by point:

-You need a IOSD MK2 (no WK file, is similar but don´t use it) updated IOSD MK2 to the last FW for use a file to export, only if you really take a pics in REAL or SIMULATED MISSION
-Taked pics with WK and GP servo action ON in control of the camera, every pic is a ONE ACTION in GPSexporter.
-You need update GS to the last version
-You need a GPSexporter 1.2 version, the last version
-You need a 5,26 Wookong Firmware

Only with all of this steps you can export a usable -txt file (with GPS EXPORTER) with a info like that IF YOU FLY REALLY WITH A REAL MISSION AND TAKE PIC WITH WK:
1 1 -70.5445244154 -33.4314905051 751.9216918945 -8.2350430486 3.7321304150 -43.1582699601

The first number or column is a number of action or pic
The second if is a 1= pics taked with WK if 3= pics taked with REFERENCE PHOTO or TRIGGER in GENERAL PURPOSE SERVO ACTION CONFIG.
The third is latitude
The fourth is longitud
The fifthis altitude
The sixth, seventh and eight is actitude(pitch, roll and yaw)

The config GP servo action (in WK is F! port) for Nex 5N or 6 or 7 via infrared
Natural Servo position: -500
Action step 1: 500 Stay time: 0
Action step 2: 1000 Stay time: 0
Action step 3: 500 Stay time: 0
Set and probe it with Trigger

First connect the data link at the least 7 meters away from you.
Second config the PHOTOGRAMMETRIC TOOL, insert all data in white windows (alls of them with out exeption)
Click to draw a region with you want to scan
Preview the result and if you satisfaction with this, GENERATE
Before this you can probe the REFERENCE PHOTO and see if take it, a pic every 2 seconds is normal
Generate and edit the mission, altitude, speed, etc etc

Before you can fly the mission in SIMULATED MODE and probe, again severals times since you can fly the first mission.
Is not easy, but with hard work you can made it.

Actually i fly severals times and the results is very accuracy, but not VERY VERY ACCURACY.

Note:
Each pic taked genered a one file secuencial....
I read all DJI`s manual and this info dosn´t exist...is funy but cruel at the same time...
Enjoy

terry.one

Yes, Leofuica is right. Pay attention to GP servo action set up. If your servo trigger camera at 600 for example, you just set neutral as -500, Action step 1: 600, Stay time:1 ; No need to set step2 or step3.

dani_r

Ok so I've got that far. Had it simulate a mission and flown it in Simulate mode. It adds a green triangle at certain points, but does not trigger the camera. Should it trigger the camera even in simulate mode?? Or not?

kev333d

This forum is great, so I plan on building an f550 for doing photogrammetry. Its great to see others out there with some info, maybe you guys can help. What would you suggest I start with? Im already familiar with the F550 naza m v2, gimbals and basic photopraphy...what my main question is..what FC should I be using..the A2 or the WKM...I have read about both, but im not certain if the A2 has the photogrammetry setting like I saw with the WKM? Also whats the best camera to be using? Sorry if this is a loaded question and maybe it should be moved to its own thread.

pls4air

Dont use DJI is my suggestion. The photogrammetry and geo tagging have been nothing short of a let down. We are going with another platform once we start generating money w the S800 we already have. Camera depends on what you are trying to accomplish. We are doing 3D modeling w point cloud generation. Go visit our web site Airtopo.com. If you are just using FPV w video record you cant beat the new gopro.

leofuica

Dont use DJI is my suggestion. The photogrammetry and geo tagging have been nothing short of a let down. We are going with another platform once we start generating money w the S800 we already have. Camera depends on what you are trying to accomplish. We are doing 3D modeling w point cloud generation. Go visit our web site Airtopo.com. If you are just using FPV w video record you cant beat the new gopro.
pls4air:

I used sucessfull a Photogrametric DJI tools, geotagging, acctitude in each photo, altitude, latitude and longuitude every pics fine, great for work in 3D, point cloud, etc etc.
I trigger my camera NEX 5N trough the WK (with action setting) in real and simulate mode with out problem, maybe your not follow all the instruction because the DJI manual is very strange and short, but with hard work i have all the potencial of WK GS, and beleave me, is powerfull than others like APM 2.6

danproud

I'm having a lot of luck using an intervalometer rather than DJI triggered photos (couldn't be bothered trying to get that going!). On my S800 EVO I'm using a Canon 6D with GP-E2 for geotagging images, shooting every 2 seconds. point cloud 3D models and orthomosaics are coming out great in Agisoft Photoscan. All I need now is longer flight times... The GP-E2 also records a log file so you could geo-tag images from any camera at a later point...

I'd be interested in more discussion about DJI gear for mapping / surveying / photogrammetry & 3D but there doesn't seem to be many people around doing it?

Just wonder what you are using? What was the main problem you have with geotagging images? I am not sure about the DJI geo tagging solution, or what is a better one

any help gratefully received!

fb

leofuica

I have for geotaging a GEOSETTER, is very easy to use it and NOT NEED IOSD FILE or GPS EXPORTER FILE, you geotagging every pics in Geosetter and write values into EXIF file, Photoscan Pro read this file and voilá.....succesfull
Enjoy too...

Quinton

I'm having a lot of luck using an intervalometer rather than DJI triggered photos (couldn't be bothered trying to get that going!). On my S800 EVO I'm using a Canon 6D with GP-E2 for geotagging images, shooting every 2 seconds. point cloud 3D models and orthomosaics are coming out great in Agisoft Photoscan. All I need now is longer flight times... The GP-E2 also records a log file so you could geo-tag images from any camera at a later point...

I'd be interested in more discussion about DJI gear for mapping / surveying / photogrammetry & 3D but there doesn't seem to be many people around doing it?

That is interesting, I take it the 6Ds built in GPS function is not good enough?
What were you using as a intervalometer, pity it also needs the latest firmware otherwise you could have used Magic Lanterns'.

spider73

Photogrammetry geotagging dji

I have for geotaging a GEOSETTER, is very easy to use it and NOT NEED IOSD FILE or GPS EXPORTER FILE, you geotagging every pics in Geosetter and write values into EXIF file, Photoscan Pro read this file and voilá.....succesfull
Enjoy too...

Hello friend,
reading a lot in the forum shows me that you are the man with the know how for photogrammetric infos on dji WKM.

So i thought that i contact you and ask you a question.

I want to make 3d model of a house with photogrammetry and a hexa copter with nex 5n and zenmuse gimbal. IOSD MK2 i also have. Done this 2 years ago with a Mikrocopter UAV and it worked.
But with my new Copter
my problöem is that i cant sync the photos taken with gps data log because i think time stamp is not recorder in iosd?? am i right??
so how do you solve this?? a second external small gps logger unit to put on the copter???

thanks for any info

greets from Austria

stasid

WELL WELL WELL
Finally i found a treasure.....point by point:

-You need a IOSD MK2 (no WK file, is similar but don´t use it) updated IOSD MK2 to the last FW for use a file to export, only if you really take a pics in REAL or SIMULATED MISSION
-Taked pics with WK and GP servo action ON in control of the camera, every pic is a ONE ACTION in GPSexporter.
-You need update GS to the last version
-You need a GPSexporter 1.2 version, the last version
-You need a 5,26 Wookong Firmware

Only with all of this steps you can export a usable -txt file (with GPS EXPORTER) with a info like that IF YOU FLY REALLY WITH A REAL MISSION AND TAKE PIC WITH WK:
1 1 -70.5445244154 -33.4314905051 751.9216918945 -8.2350430486 3.7321304150 -43.1582699601

The first number or column is a number of action or pic
The second if is a 1= pics taked with WK if 3= pics taked with REFERENCE PHOTO or TRIGGER in GENERAL PURPOSE SERVO ACTION CONFIG.
The third is latitude
The fourth is longitud
The fifthis altitude
The sixth, seventh and eight is actitude(pitch, roll and yaw)

The config GP servo action (in WK is F! port) for Nex 5N or 6 or 7 via infrared
Natural Servo position: -500
Action step 1: 500 Stay time: 0
Action step 2: 1000 Stay time: 0
Action step 3: 500 Stay time: 0
Set and probe it with Trigger

First connect the data link at the least 7 meters away from you.
Second config the PHOTOGRAMMETRIC TOOL, insert all data in white windows (alls of them with out exeption)
Click to draw a region with you want to scan
Preview the result and if you satisfaction with this, GENERATE
Before this you can probe the REFERENCE PHOTO and see if take it, a pic every 2 seconds is normal
Generate and edit the mission, altitude, speed, etc etc

Before you can fly the mission in SIMULATED MODE and probe, again severals times since you can fly the first mission.
Is not easy, but with hard work you can made it.

Actually i fly severals times and the results is very accuracy, but not VERY VERY ACCURACY.

Note:
Each pic taked genered a one file secuencial....
I read all DJI`s manual and this info dosn´t exist...is funy but cruel at the same time...
Enjoy

hi leofuica,
these info are very useful.
I have a questions:
Where can I find the log file with the info of each photo (latitude,longitude,altitude,pitch, roll and yaw)? In my PC or in iOSD?
thanks

leofuica

In the log creted in the fly with pics downloaded from your IOSD MK2 to your PC, then export with GPSexporter and you can obtain a log with the gps info