DJI Phantom 2 Vision Compass and GPS issues

ALMPilot

I recently bought a DJI Phantom 2 Vision in December 2013, it arrived with the compass pretty messed up and needing calibration. No amount of spinning round and round like an obsessive dog chasing its tail could fix this. The DJI app kept saying that the Vision needed compass calibration and the LEDs kept showing that as well. The magnet calibration took hours to get this thing close to where it should have been.

The last flight was a really good, it flew well and I was so glad that I had gotten it. I parked it down in its original box for a couple days and when I came back and powered it up, it kept saying that it needed compass calibration. I connected it to the PC and the compass showed the following values:
x 215 y -72 and z -83 mod 22845

The magnet calibration had no effect on correcting the mod value. It would drop to about 18000 when the magnet was around but go back up to 22000 when it was removed. Not only that but it would no longer connect to any satellites when I put it outside so no more GPS lock or return home feature.

I contacted the dealer, B&H photo, and they could offer no troubleshooting advice. They just said send it back and they will ship another one, the problem is that I am not in the US and they admitted that the compass can get messed up through the scans in going through customs and security.
I really like this thing but I can’t go through sending it back and forth for repairs/returns every so often, especially when it can arrive not working properly. Is this a lost cause, should I give up and just take the refund?

ALMPilot

Can anyone say whether the compass on their DJI Phantom was messed up after being shipped across borders after passing through security scanners? this would help in my decision making.