DJI has released new firmware for DJI Lightbridge!

The new firmware includes the following updates:

1. Improved compatibility with various HDMI devices.
2. 720p OSD display setting for HDMI devices.
3. Turn on/off the HDMI OSD displaying through DJI Lightbridge App.
4. Removed Full-HD mode temporally. Upgraded version of Full-HD mode coming soon.
5. Antenna signal quality checking feature added.

To get the new features, you MUST upgrade the following models to the latest version respectively, via the latest DJI Lightbridge Assistant Software v1.2:

Ground system main controller: 1.1.6
Ground system decoder: 1.4.4
Air system main controller: 1.0.3
Air system encoder: 1.1.4
Android App: 1.0.2

NOTE: Ground system decoder upgrade needs about 15 minutes, please DO NOT power off the Ground system or disconnect USB cable during upgrade process. If your Lightbridge device behaves abnormal after the upgrade, please contact DJI Service center for help.

To use with Z15-BMPCC gimbal, you MUST upgrade Z15-BMPCC HD-AV model to v1.8 through Z15-BMPCC gimbal Assistant Software.

Download the latest DJI Lightbridge Assistant software v1.2 from DJI website:
http://www.dji.com/product/dji-lightbridge/download

Download the latest DJI Lightbridge App as instructed below:

1. Search "DJI Lightbridge" on Google Play and download;
2. Enter http://m.dji.net/lightbridge on web browser to download;
3. Scan the QR code below to download.
DJI_Lightbridge_app.jpg

Enjoy your FPV HD flight!

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
MORE BETA TESTING THEN! SO who's going to try this?

DJI START POSTING VIDEOS OF YOUR SUCCESSFUL FLIGHTS USING THE LIGHTBRIDGE, A2 AND THE COMBO.

Tahoe Ed

Droider,

I have already flown my S800 with the lightbridge and A2. It flies just fine. I have just added the Zen for BMPCC, with the upgraded firmware. I am getting good results on the iOS version of the App. Sorry but it has not been released yet, soon. I will be flying this weekend if the winds cooperate. I am not maidening in 20+ mph winds. 5-10 and I am ok with that. This is my personal camera and lens so I also have skin in the game just like the rest of you. I will keep you posted. I know that Lightbridge is not meant to be used in this way but I think there might be quite a few people looking to use it as a cheap HD link for the cameras so, based on what I have seen, I would steer clear from this approach. As for using it in its correct configuration with both pilot and camera commands going through the Lightbridge, well, beta test until your heart's content.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
For those of you who would like to operate the command link separately to the Lightbridge eg for those who don't have electrical connections between the gimbal and the FC-.......DONT DO IT!! We did a spectrum analysis of the Lightbridge yesterday and it hogs, and I mean hogs, the whole of the 2.4GHz band. Running a separate command link looks like it will be a recipe for continuous and frequent returns to home!

econfly

For those of you who would like to operate the command link separately to the Lightbridge eg for those who don't have electrical connections between the gimbal and the FC-.......DONT DO IT!! We did a spectrum analysis of the Lightbridge yesterday and it hogs, and I mean hogs, the whole of the 2.4GHz band. Running a separate command link looks like it will be a recipe for continuous and frequent returns to home!

I have been doing the same -- looking at the Lightbridge use of the 2.4GHz band compared to the hopping of my Futaba radio. No question, there is plenty of room for interference. But then again, 2.4GHz is so jammed up with just about everything that any radio/receiver must be able to deal with interference to some degree (very irritating that governments have crammed so much into such a tight little window of spectrum).

I would really like to fly with my Futaba radio/receiver and use the Lightbridge for just camera operater/HD video. Like you say, there is plenty of reason to think this won't work. Could be a test job for an open field and a cheap quad just to see...

By the way, how are you doing the spectrum analysis? I just have a little handheld unit (an "RFExplorer"). It works amazingly well for the price. Naturally it would be nice to have, say, an Agilent portable spectrum analyzer, but that level of gear is tremendously expensive.

Amerly

Thanks Carapau... Just Cancelled my pre-order of Lightbridge... Would hope for a true, dedicated 5.8ghz HD videolink under 5000$ now... Will stay with analog until then... DJI have let me down each time... Beautiful promo but always trouble in the corner... Will not play russian roulette for a video link...

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Droider,

I have already flown my S800 with the lightbridge and A2. It flies just fine. I have just added the Zen for BMPCC, with the upgraded firmware. I am getting good results on the iOS version of the App. Sorry but it has not been released yet, soon. I will be flying this weekend if the winds cooperate. I am not maidening in 20+ mph winds. 5-10 and I am ok with that. This is my personal camera and lens so I also have skin in the game just like the rest of you. I will keep you posted. I know that Lightbridge is not meant to be used in this way but I think there might be quite a few people looking to use it as a cheap HD link for the cameras so, based on what I have seen, I would steer clear from this approach. As for using it in its correct configuration with both pilot and camera commands going through the Lightbridge, well, beta test until your heart's content.

Ed read the responses from peeps that really can evaluate what DJI are pushing out. I don't have the knowledge or time to fook about with spectrum analysers. NO body should be having to do this. ITS SHOULD work as stated.

AGAIN DJI DONT FULLY TEST THEIR KIT.

Hopefully someone will cater for the pro users and really produce a 'Professional and Impossibly Precise' flight controller BEFORE the regulators ban all DJI stuff unless its been tested and certified by professionals that will be able to give US professionals an air worthiness certificate to operate commercially.

So Ed. post away and PLEASE show us all a detailed video of how you are using it and the whole system working in harmony with humming birds and flowers blossoming from your results.

Dave

econfly

Ed read the responses from peeps that really can evaluate what DJI are pushing out. I don't have the knowledge or time to fook about with spectrum analysers. NO body should be having to do this. ITS SHOULD work as stated.

AGAIN DJI DONT FULLY TEST THEIR KIT.

Hopefully someone will cater for the pro users and really produce a 'Professional and Impossibly Precise' flight controller BEFORE the regulators ban all DJI stuff unless its been tested and certified by professionals that will be able to give US professionals an air worthiness certificate to operate commercially.

So Ed. post away and PLEASE show us all a detailed video of how you are using it and the whole system working in harmony with humming birds and flowers blossoming from your results.

Dave

A big problem is simple, clear communication from DJI. We know that the 2.4GHz band is jammed with everything from RC to wifi and wireless phones. In any place near civilization there is going to be activity in that band. Hence, DJI can't be telling us that their Lightbridge only works in the middle of nowhere inside of a Faraday cage. Nobody sensible would even think of offering a product operating on 2.4Ghz without planning for other products in the same frequency space.

So given that, what do we conclude when DJI tells us that you can't use a 2.4GHz product along with the Lightbridge? That can't be categorically true, but it could be sensible within some limiting parameters. So what are the parameters? How far away from the transmitter/receivers should another product be in order to have reasonable expectation of function?

For example, take a small group of flyers meeting up to fly together. They all have 2.4GHz radios -- maybe more than one of them is flying with a Lightbridge (oh my)! They are in a park next to a industrial strip with wifi routers, wireless phones, etc. They all have cell phones in their pockets or cars with wifi capability. What happens? Well, stuff just tends to work. This is why futaba, for example, has frequency hopping in its radios and receivers, and just about any other consumer product has the ability to detect interference and move/deal with it. But the Lightbridge -- is it truly so damned fragile that it breaks when any material signal strength is presented anywhere from 2.4 to 2.5GHz? Or is it designed to demand sole ownership of 100MHz of spectrum in order to function, with enough power to stomp out anything else?

I have no idea and I don't expect DJI's representatives to tell us.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
A big problem is simple, clear communication from DJI. We know that the 2.4GHz band is jammed with everything from RC to wifi and wireless phones. In any place near civilization there is going to be activity in that band. Hence, DJI can't be telling us that their Lightbridge only works in the middle of nowhere inside of a Faraday cage. Nobody sensible would even think of offering a product operating on 2.4Ghz without planning for other products in the same frequency space.

So given that, what do we conclude when DJI tells us that you can't use a 2.4GHz product along with the Lightbridge? That can't be categorically true, but it could be sensible within some limiting parameters. So what are the parameters? How far away from the transmitter/receivers should another product be in order to have reasonable expectation of function?

For example, take a small group of flyers meeting up to fly together. They all have 2.4GHz radios -- maybe more than one of them is flying with a Lightbridge (oh my)! They are in a park next to a industrial strip with wifi routers, wireless phones, etc. They all have cell phones in their pockets or cars with wifi capability. What happens? Well, stuff just tends to work. This is why futaba, for example, has frequency hopping in its radios and receivers, and just about any other consumer product has the ability to detect interference and move/deal with it. But the Lightbridge -- is it truly so damned fragile that it breaks when any material signal strength is presented anywhere from 2.4 to 2.5GHz? Or is it designed to demand sole ownership of 100MHz of spectrum in order to function, with enough power to stomp out anything else?

I have no idea and I don't expect DJI's representatives to tell us.
+10, no real thought just $ signs in their eyes.

econfly

DJI is so close. The Lightbridge really is a neat idea. If their management and communications were as good as their engineering they would be so much better off. They clearly know how to develop and build innovative and polished products. But that last step -- careful testing and clear communication with the customer -- is undermining what would otherwise be a very successful effort. I bought the Lightbridge because it offers something the market truly needs: HD video over wireless link within range desirable for aerial photo/video work. Nobody is selling that for the price DJI is asking. And I think this product does have significant potential. I just wish I wasn't left to figure its flaws and limitations on my own.

Carapau

The reason 2.4GHz normally works with so many items at once is that each item normally uses just a very small part of the spectrum and then it hops to the next very small part of the spectrum that is free but the Lightbridge doesn't leave any spare spaces! I have attached 3 pictures from my cheap and chearful Wi-spy spectrum analyzer (£150 or there abouts I think it was). The first picture shows the room without either Lightbridge on or the Futaba TX (look at the top graph). The next picture is the Lightbridge only on. Note how there are very regular blocks covering the entire spectrum. The third picture is with Lightbridge off and the Futaba on. The peaks in the Futaba are indeed higher than the Lightbridge ie they would burn through and still work here, however, the range of the Futaba to the Wispy was approx 0.3m or 1ft for those imperially minded. Given that when you double the range for ground based radio you reduce its power by a factor of at least 4 (inverse square in ideal conditions) then my only conclusion from this is as I mentioned above! To be honest, these pictures don't do the situation justice. When you see the software playing back the analysis in real time- it is even more conclusive ie the Lightbridge picture remains pretty much as is but the Fuatab picture, because of the hopping doesn't seem so crowded.

View attachment 18643 View attachment 18644 View attachment 18645

Attachments

• Lightbridge off.jpg
    Lightbridge off.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 727
  • Lightbridge on.jpg
    Lightbridge on.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 633
  • Futaba only on.jpg
    Futaba only on.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 752

rilot

Wow Carapau, that's absolutely mental. Why would they design it to hog the entire spectrum? Idiotic if you ask me. Glad I don't have a Lightbridge.

The reason is bandwidth. They need to use the entire spectrum to transmit that amount of data. Think about how much data would be in a stream of High Def video plus data for commands and telemetry etc. Thats how modern home Wifi gets higher speed they use more channels combined.

ZAxis

Has anyone read the back of the Lightbridge units? They are FCC & CE approved so must neither cause or be susceptible to interference. If they are then they are illegal and cannot be offered for sale.
The rules are pretty tough, personal experience recently getting a new scientific instrument approved. We failed and now have the additional expense of redesign and reapproval. So DJI must have convinced someone in authority to sign their equipment off.
This leads on to the question.... Has anyone proof of interference in real use rather than simple spectral analysis?
... are we all spooked because DJI chose to insist on 5.8 GHz for Phantom or gimbal control?
... can anybody speak on behalf on DJI and give THE definitive answer?

So far I'm pretty impressed with the Lightbridge but have not yet put it on craft, just walked about with units checking signal range and quality. It is a work in progress but shows some promise.

andy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 431

Carapau

DJI use 5.8 for control on the Phantom as 2.8 is being used for the wifi video link so that iPhones/iPads can be used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZAxis

DJI use 5.8 for control on the Phantom as 2.8 is being used for the wifi video link so that iPhones/iPads can be used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The real question I want an answer to is why DJI unilaterally introduced the use of 5.8GHz for RC control and not simply use 2.4GHz. Leaving 5.8 available for video downlink, like everyone else. Was it the lack of suitable chips, poor design decisions, attempting to lock people into the DJI eco system or what? It caught the CAA off guard, who then had to introduce emergency temporary guidelines.
DJI's fixation on long range for the Lightbridge signal disturbs me. It positively encourages inexperienced users to go the distance and we're beginning to see the troubles that introduces. 5.8GHz would reduce the range available, 500m would be a nice limit.
So far I have not seen any horror stories relating to Lightbridges and loss of control/signal along the line of the S800 'flip of death' events. Multirotor users are the most technically adventurous people around, mixing items and pushing limits all the time. Has no one tried mixing 2.4GHz for R/C, separate gimbal control and video downlink on a single craft? ........... and lived to tell the tale

Area51Drones

Lightbridge, Phantom 2, H2-2D Gimbal, 2.0 firmware on Phantom

DJI is so close. The Lightbridge really is a neat idea. If their management and communications were as good as their engineering they would be so much better off. They clearly know how to develop and build innovative and polished products. But that last step -- careful testing and clear communication with the customer -- is undermining what would otherwise be a very successful effort. I bought the Lightbridge because it offers something the market truly needs: HD video over wireless link within range desirable for aerial photo/video work. Nobody is selling that for the price DJI is asking. And I think this product does have significant potential. I just wish I wasn't left to figure its flaws and limitations on my own.

So glad to find this thread...now working 2 days on getting this to work:

Lightbridge, Phantom 2, H2-2D Gimbal, 2.0 firmware on Phantom, 5.8 ghtz DJI radio

All lights work..2 important green ones on Air Module on Phantom 2...All firmware updated as of 2 days ago...but it did report a failure on the firmware that was the 15 minute one...however after restarting...the software reports the firmware update successfully....

but App won't work...thought it was 1st Samsung Tablet...then just picked up Samsung Galaxy Note3 phone...same thing.

Error says turn everything off and start again (well... in other words but this is what it means...) Should I send the Lightbridge back...? Sounds like many on this thread would recommend waiting more time for this product to develop?