DJI F450 Build

skipper1

Everything is now put together. I don't understand which motor cables plug into the ESC's. I do understand that if one isn't going the correct direction, just switch the cables. One of the motor cables feels a little smaller than the other 2 but I still don't know which should go where.

If you have a 450 that's fying great, let me know which cables go where.

AIRCONROB

Skipper, upload a picture of your rig mate, and what do you mean One of the motor cables feels a little smaller than the other 2?

skipper1

Well, maybe the diameter on one of the motor cables was my immigration. I just can't seem to find any info on which female ports the male motor plugs should go. Right now I'm having trouble binding to my DX7s? I'm watching the Gary Travis video so I guess it'll happen eventually.

Also, I'm having trouble registering my NAZA, they want a 32 digit S/N. Where do you find that number? View attachment 2916

Attachments

• IMG_0608.JPG
    IMG_0608.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 272

AIRCONROB

Skipper Don't take too much notice on the makes, they all work the same. If you look at the picture you will see A B C, in your case U V W. Connect all the motor wires to you esc ports U V W. I'm guessing you will be flying in rotor X. Bind you radio with your RX, and one at a time plug your esc into the throttle channel and set your top and bottom endpoints. Once you've done that, Thats if you flying Quad rotor X, Power up the esc with props OFF, and look at which way motor rotates.View attachment 2920

M1 anti clockwise, M2 clockwise, M3 anti clockwise, M4 clockwise.

Which ever one is rotating the wrong way then spaw eiver U V round or V W on that motor and esc.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Rob

Attachments

• 2012-02-25 22.05.25.jpg
    2012-02-25 22.05.25.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 349

Tahoe Ed

Also, I'm having trouble registering my NAZA, they want a 32 digit S/N. Where do you find that number?

When you connect the Naza to the Assistant through your PC, it will pickup the SN from the Naza. Make sure you power the Naza with your lipo with out props.

skipper1

Thanks for the info on the software picking up the S/N.

You won't believe this but I am currently watching one of your videos on how to set up the software.

skipper1

This is about the 3rd time watching. My problem is I continue to get RX-ERR, wait, I think I have that one fixed. Now I get CFG-ERR (8). All 4 slider knobs are black and to the right. MC output off, Control MOD, Fail Safe.

Well, I've been trying to get this to work since 7 this morning and it seems I'm getting no where.

Tahoe Ed

Skipper, you need to calibrate your transmitter. You see the "Start" button to the bottom right of the sliders? You need to click that and move all the sticks to the full extent of their travel. The Throttle should be to the left when at minimum and the rest should be Green. Make sure that the Elevator slider moves right when you move the stick up. The next thing that you need to do is adjust your end points of your "U" channel. That is usually the gear channel but it depends on your transmitter. They usually end up in the high 80's. When you switch the switch the slider should move from Manual to ATTI and highlighted in BLUE. If not you are in failsafe and not where you want to be. Once you have done that, make sure that you write to the Naza controller. If that does not work, send me a PM and I will send you my contact info so we can talk.

skipper1

Yes, I know about the start button but I can't get it to do anything.

Here's what my screen looks like;
Receiver type: D-Bus it ticked
Cut Off Type: Intelligent is ticked
In the lower left corner a blue light flickers, there is a CFG-ERR(8) message, MC Output Off, Control Mod is white and then there is Fail-Saft. I'm using the DX7s transmitter & AR8000 receiver. U is plugged into Gear.
To the right of the sliders, in the box it says NORMAL.
One more thing, all sliders are to the right and are black.

Tahoe Ed

Change the receiver type to traditional. With the AR8000 you are connecting all the channels to the MU. Not a singe connection.

skipper1

I don't have answer for that other than I been trying everything possible to get things to work. I put it back on tradition and now all the sliders are to the left.

skipper1

I really don't know. Now all the sliders are in the center and are green but there is nothing saying that it has been calibrated. I still have CFG-ERR(8) at the bottom and the control mode switch is just barely under A.

Tomstoy2

Hey Skip.

Calibration error will not disappear until you close the program and re-open. If it re-appears you still have not solved the problem. Sounds like you are now past this point?

Then adjust the transmitter until you get the arrow directly under the center of A. Do the same for the M. If you don't do this you risk going into failsafe.

Click start calibration and move the sticks to their limit. Make sure the stick movement follows the arrow. Example; if you move the aileron stick to the right, then the indicator on the screen should also go to the right.
If not, then reverse the throw in the transmitter.
All indicators should move to full left or right when you move the control stick. If not, increase travel in the transmitter until it does.

When all is done, click finish.

Last edited by a moderator:

skipper1

Hi Tom,
I know that now, thanks to Tahoe Ed. Been on the phone with him trying to get this thing in the air. Now that everything has been updated and calibrated, I can't get the motors to fire up. I'm beat up from this.

Tomstoy2

I know the feeling well, most of us do, trust me. DJI could really do a better job with the directions.

When you plug in the battery, ( if memory serves me right you are using 4s ), you should hear first 3 beeps of a different tone each, ( meaning the motors are armed ), followed by 4 beeps of the same tone, ( meaning that the motors have identified 4 cell battery.
After that they will occasionally give a single beep, meaning they are waiting for an input from you.
At this point you should be able to turn on the motors.

If you do not hear this, then check how you have the connectors plugged into the Naza making sure the ground wire is plugged into the ground pin on the Naza for each motor.

skipper1

You have a great memory, 4S is correct. I checked to make sure the esc's were plugged into the correct ports on the NAZA, the connector will only go in one way. As for the motors, who knows which wire does what. How could I have possibly plugged all 4 motors up incorrectly. Surly I would have gotten one of them right.

It's just a slow, steady flashing amber light, bright light. Isn't it amazing how bright those tiny lights are?