DJI claims $10 billion valuation in fundraising campaign

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
From Forbes;

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ryanmac...ation/?utm_campaign=yahootix&partner=yahootix

By Ryan Mac, Frank Bi and Heng Shao

DJI, the world’s largest consumer drone manufacturer, is seeking to raise money at a $10 billion valuation at least three sources confirmed with FORBES. While it’s unclear how much money the Shenzhen, China-based company is looking to raise, those familiar with the talks said that the funding discussions are in an advanced stage and include the likes of Silicon Valley venture firms Accel Partners and Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers.

A spokesperson for DJI declined to comment. Representatives at Accel and Kleiner Perkins could not be immediately reached for comment.

At $10 billion, DJI would be, by far, the most valuable consumer drone manufacturer in the world, dwarfing the likes of Berkeley-based 3D Robotics, which raised $50 million in February. The two companies are in fierce competition in the nascent unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) market with DJI launching their new Phantom 3 quadcopter last week. That was shortly followed by the unveiling of 3D Robotics new Solo drone on Monday.

Past estimates put DJI’s 2014 sales at around $500 million, a figure which could double this year. In a recent interview with FORBES, 3D Robotics CEO Chris Anderson did not disclose his company’s revenues or valuation, but stated that DJI was the clear market leader in terms of units sold. The BBC estimated that 3D Robotics would do $50 million in sales this year.

“We’re the David to their Goliath,” said 3D Robotics Chief Revenue Officer Colin Guinn, who was a former employee at DJI before leaving and subsequently suing the company.

Founded in 2006 by Frank Wang, DJI has a global workforce of more than 3,000 people. Wang remains as CEO and could likely be a billionaire once the latest investment round is completed. He rarely gives interviews and recently did not attend his company’s unveilings of its Phantom 3 product in New York, London or Munich.

“In developing the next generation Phantom, DJI remained committed to providing a top-tier flight experience in one easy-to-use platform,” said Wang in a statement.

In addition to the Phantom, DJI also produces higher-end drones for professional photography and cinematography, including the Inspire 1 and the S-class, both of which retail for several thousand dollars. The company also manufactures a line of gimbals, which are used to stabilize cameras, like a GoPro, during flight.

If it succeeds in closing its round, DJI would be the latest Chinese device firm to raise at an 11-figure valuation. In December, smartphone manufacturer Xiaomi raised $1.1 billion at a $45 billion valuation.

synrg

Will be interesting to see what type of war chest they can build. I'd guess $200m + first round. This makes a lot of sense now. Was wondering why they canabalized I1 sales with new P3. They are going to pump up revenues with huge P3 sales this year.

jfro

Aerial Fun
The bigger they are the harder they could fall. They cannot succeed long term with their current support and repair process. It's the worse I've ever seen.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com

Attachments

• dr evil.jpg
    dr evil.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 436

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Does $10 billion seem to suggest moving into other market segments (gov't contracts etc)? Or is this simply to expand production for consumer market?

econfly

Sounds like they are approaching private equity (or are being approached). It could be that initial funders want out (or a pay day). It could be that DJI is looking to expand and really needs capital. They clearly are generating plenty of cash flow, but they may need it and more to fund future development. DJI is suffering some growing pains (service needs a lot of work, they seem to be unable to manage software/firmware development over they existing array of products). They may even have ideas of going with their own retail presence. No way to know. And that relative privacy is one big benefit of seeking private capital (as opposed to going public).

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I'd love to think they would consider putting capital into service, but I wonder whether past and current sales incentivizes them to do so.

They have had a fairly bad rep for service as long as I can remember - and that very Forbes article is predicting a double in revenue from their banner 2014. Peeps keep on paying, whether the service infrastructure is there or not :)