DJI A2 MOTOR IDLE SPEED Firmware Issue v2.3

KDE Direct

KDE Direct, LLC.
Hey Guys,

Customers forwarded this thread to me, experiencing similar issues with startup-idle RPM on motors with the KDE Direct XF ESCs. Since we can directly control the RPM of the motor with the XF ESCs through a receiver direct with no issues, something was changing in the response of the flight-controller to effect the Motor Idle Speed with the DJI controllers.

We tested multiple systems, using the DJI Naza-M V2 and A2 controllers. Here's what we have found, and it appears ONLY with the A2 controller (latest firmware v2.3).

On the Naza-M V2 controller, Motor Idle Speed works great, and there is a noticeable change in startup RPM when shifting the setting from LOW to HIGH, and is working in all three flight modes: Manual, ATTI, and GPS. No problems throughout, working great with the KDE Direct XF ESCs. :tennis:

On the A2 controller, there is a major bug in the Motor Idle Speed programming. When changing the Motor Idle Speed setting from LOW to HIGH, the startup RPM works great in the Manual mode ONLY. High setting is extremely high and I DO NOT recommend using this, use LOW or RECOMMENDED only, to prevent premature take-off in Manual mode. When starting the motors in ATTI or GPS mode, there is NO CHANGE when adjusting the Motor Idle Speed and it seems locked at the "RECOMMENDED" RPM speed . This is a major issue of concern for customers, as this can lead to a faster-than-desired startup RPM for some setups (especially on very light and overpowered setups).

In this regard, when running the A2 controller until the firmware is fixed, I am instructing customers to take-off ONLY in Manual mode and make sure to set Motor Idle Speed to LOW. With the Naza-M V2, this problem does not exist, and any of the three flight modes work great as programmed.

This is not an issue with the KDE Direct XF ESCs (they are factory-programmed to Futaba 1100ms to 1900ms pulse-ranges as standard), but an issue with the A2 programming for the Motor Idle Speed. I hope DJI will acknowledge this and work to solve this ASAP for customers, as the A2 is a great flight-controller and this is an open issue of concern. If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me at support@kdedirect.com and also, if anyone wants to discuss this with me from DJI, please contact me as well.

Thanks,
Patrick Koegler
Owner, KDE Direct

Last edited by a moderator:

mobana

Thanks to Chris with KDE for looking into this issue for me and KDE for being diligent in there testing. +1 for KDE support now I'm hoping the same from DJI.

KDE Direct

KDE Direct, LLC.
Quick correction:

(they are factory-programmed to Futaba 1100ms to 1900ms pulse-ranges as standard)

The proper ranges are 1100us to 1900us (micro-seconds).

mobana

Firmware Update

Does anyone know if the new firmware addresses this issue?

Hey Guys,

Customers forwarded this thread to me, experiencing similar issues with startup-idle RPM on motors with the KDE Direct XF ESCs. Since we can directly control the RPM of the motor with the XF ESCs through a receiver direct with no issues, something was changing in the response of the flight-controller to effect the Motor Idle Speed with the DJI controllers.

We tested multiple systems, using the DJI Naza-M V2 and A2 controllers. Here's what we have found, and it appears ONLY with the A2 controller (latest firmware v2.3).

On the Naza-M V2 controller, Motor Idle Speed works great, and there is a noticeable change in startup RPM when shifting the setting from LOW to HIGH, and is working in all three flight modes: Manual, ATTI, and GPS. No problems throughout, working great with the KDE Direct XF ESCs. :tennis:

On the A2 controller, there is a major bug in the Motor Idle Speed programming. When changing the Motor Idle Speed setting from LOW to HIGH, the startup RPM works great in the Manual mode ONLY. High setting is extremely high and I DO NOT recommend using this, use LOW or RECOMMENDED only, to prevent premature take-off in Manual mode. When starting the motors in ATTI or GPS mode, there is NO CHANGE when adjusting the Motor Idle Speed and it seems locked at the "RECOMMENDED" RPM speed . This is a major issue of concern for customers, as this can lead to a faster-than-desired startup RPM for some setups (especially on very light and overpowered setups).

In this regard, when running the A2 controller until the firmware is fixed, I am instructing customers to take-off ONLY in Manual mode and make sure to set Motor Idle Speed to LOW. With the Naza-M V2, this problem does not exist, and any of the three flight modes work great as programmed.

This is not an issue with the KDE Direct XF ESCs (they are factory-programmed to Futaba 1100ms to 1900ms pulse-ranges as standard), but an issue with the A2 programming for the Motor Idle Speed. I hope DJI will acknowledge this and work to solve this ASAP for customers, as the A2 is a great flight-controller and this is an open issue of concern. If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me at support@kdedirect.com and also, if anyone wants to discuss this with me from DJI, please contact me as well.

Thanks,
Patrick Koegler
Owner, KDE Direct

KDE Direct

KDE Direct, LLC.
Been testing the new A2, v2.4m firmware (the 2nd release from DJI, sent-out shortly after the initial release of the new 2.4 firmware) and the start-up procedure (Motor Idle Speed) appears corrected. Tested this on the bench, as well as oscilloscope measurements, and all looks correct with the latest firmware. The Motor Idle Speed is identical between the three (3) different flight modes, which is great to see DJI corrected this - as it was a major and potentially dangerous bug in the previous firmware.

Still recommend using the "Low" setting for Motor Idle Speed on all heavy-lift multi-rotors, just to be sure the multi-rotor does not become airborne until ready. There is no reason to use the higher-settings with the KDE Direct XF ESCs, as this is the ideal idle speed for the vast majority of setups. Always best to start at "Low" and then increase this to your liking if needed.

Jumpy07

Cheers.. been having issues with my A2 and HobbyWing Plat Pro and FunFly ESC's... start up was really fast.. even on lowest setting... but due to high idle speed made it a sod to land on even slightly uneven ground.... looks like time to upgrade to 2.4

Tahoe Ed

Ok what escs and motors? Are you using the Taranis for your Tx? I would like to pin this down as to the issue since the firmware update does not seem to work for you.

Jumpy07

Sorry ed....

tiger 4012/11 400kv... Esc HobbyWing Funfly 40a Opto..Taranis Tx , X8R Rx SBUS

Motor speed is slower at low throttle when plugged Esc direct to Rx...using PWM..which suggest either A2...or SBUS related

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tahoe Ed

I will ask DJI on this combination. I am not sure that they will be able to duplicate your non-DJI set up. But I will ask.