Convert my F450 into a Hexacopter

ash

Hi all. I notice that Hobbyking are selling a nice looking hex frame for about £15. I'm thinking I might get a couple of extra ESCs and motors and make a new hex from my quad. I believe the NAZA lite will be OK with it.

Any disadvantages that come to mind?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
There shouldn't be any disadvantages to the hex - as long as you calculate the thrust from the additional motors. Make sure you account for that so you don't find yourself shooting into the sky because of too much power.

You may need to buy different size props to compensate.

The Naza lite should be able to handle it just fine as long as the craft modest in size.

ash

The red DJI ones 92oKV, although I've never really understood what the KV stands for, KiloVolts??? Is bigger better?
The props are plastic, 10". Would I change down to 8"?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
The KV is a little misleading - it represents the amount of RPM gained for every volt given to the motor.

The props you would choose would depend on the all-up weight (AUW) of the drone, including batteries and any payload (camera, gimbal, FPV gear etc). Also, it will depend on the batteries you use (3S or 4S).

Give us some more details about what you have now - and what specific frame you will be using for the hex - and that should help us help you.

ash

This is the appalling state of my workbench today. There's a quadcopter in there somewhere.
20749293762_69e389d796_b.jpg
xBxy9b

Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I'm not sure why the photos won't load. Flickr and the other sites usually give you a link to insert the photo directly into a post - direct link or something like that, then you don't need to use the forum uploader at all.

But the shots on the flicker account are sadly - FAR cleaner than my bench :)

ash

What I wanted to put up was my current configuration. DJI F450 with 30A ESCs, 920KV motors 3S 3300mAh Lipos, Tarot 2 axis gimbal. I've now started to use a Turnigy camera instead of my GoPro, in case the whole lot drowns in the loch.

IMG_7119.jpg by ash2020, on Flickr

ash

Hi there, yes its 1.46 kg
That's with everything on, battery, props, gimbal battery and camera.

Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I would suggest going to ecalc and plugging in some numbers for various battery capacities and prop sizes and see what makes the most sense for your upgrade to 6 motors.

Ecalc is not perfect - but it's helpful for honing in on a build.