Buddy-box a Phantom student. To learn people some confidence..

jappie911

Hi,

As a rc-heli flyer since 20+ years, and a multiflyer since 5+ years doing some AP work, I am asked regularly to give some lessons..

I did that in the past with lots of fun and success for regular rc heli flyers.

I was thinking it was not necessary anymore for the "phantom generation". With easy gps flying etc.

However, I think a lot of them don't have a lot of confidence the first flights..

And I personally think all pilots needs to master manual flight, and things like "nose-in".

So, I maybe want to start this service back up again.. Lot's of new flyers !

But... Is it possible to buddy-box a Phantom in some way?

Because I want them to fly the same model as they have/going to buy, which most of the time is a Phantom.
It may be a 1,2, or generation 3.

Offcourse it is possible to give the transmitter to each-other because there is more time with a multi, but I want to do it the old way! Let them try to recover from a mistake but take it over at the last possible time!

This way I learned to fly backwards upside-down etc. when I was 15! 20 years ago with a Futura SE!

The problem is also; I fly mode 3!

I read it is possible to make a phantom Transmitter a mode 3, but this way I can not "hand-over" the transmitter to the student.

So does someone know if something is possible between DJI-transmitters? Which is best, because then they use the same as there own system.

Or otherwise I have to use my regular Futaba or Graupner systems...

(An technical easier option is let them fly my Mikrokopter hexa, but first want to see the Phantom option.)

Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

jappie911

Or is it totally nonsense to get a lesson for flying a Phantom?

Never flown one myself..

Easy for people to do first flight and also learning things like nose-in?

Do people crash Phantoms on Pilot-error ?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Do people crash Phantoms on Pilot-error ?

Really? Have you not been to YouTube? :)

The idea of people learning to fly properly is a great one, but I'm not sure you'll be able to get the DJI radios doing what you want without some serious hacking.

jappie911

Ok, I have seen some futaba systems built in a Phantom.

But I think it will be best to let them use those DJI transmitters..

Sometime they will be a bit overwelmed with those 14mz's

More people think it's a good idea to give some lessons? And somebody maybe know a way to use those "White bricks?"