Aerial MOB arm extensions for dji based frames

kloner

Aerial DP
We at Aerial MOB want to introduce the Aerial MOB arm extensions to the world. They are a delrin based inserts like the dji arms your used too but have a common standard 16mm carbon boom to make them hold any size prop the frame will withstand, but we are offering them to 13" long tubes to carry up to 15" props. We've tried and tested the product through extreme conditions with excellent results. We are in production of v2 now with every improvement we could think of after this first run came out to improve them to perfection. in about 40 days we will receive and distribute v.2 of this and they will be worldwide at a store near you. If you get a set please post up so i can keep track of you all and any sorts of problems you have.

http://team-blacksheep.com/products/prod:aerial_mob_extension

20140208185014-5c5a1669-la.jpg

20140208184823-cfe1c4b5-la.jpg

20140208185406-3889d10b-la.jpg

Kloner
Aerial MOB

Last edited by a moderator:

tahoejmfc

James Cole
Can't wait to get a set on my disco with T-motors 3110 780 kv and 10 X 4.5 carbon props, should solve the problem Im having with the short stock arms.\

The dirt biking shots are really cool, just wish the disco had a 3rd axis to enable a follow mode to smooth out the Yaw jumps

adanac

What is the advantage to longer arms? I am inferring that one can get longer flight times but would it add stability? I'm having lots of trouble with shaky footage.

Longer arms gives you a few advantages. Increased stability for one, the ability to run larger props which combined with a lower KV motor gives longer endurance and better lift capabilities.
Shaky footage can be from frame vibration from unbalanced motors or props. is your camera stabilized? ie on a gimbal or hard mounted to the frame?

adanac

Well, I'm flying a GoPro on a different platform so it's a bit of an apples to oranges comparison. I have a Disco Pro that I've yet to start flying - I was kind of waiting to figure out if it would be stable enough for GoPro work. Perhaps with the long arms it will be.

Longer arms gives you a few advantages. Increased stability for one, the ability to run larger props which combined with a lower KV motor gives longer endurance and better lift capabilities.
Shaky footage can be from frame vibration from unbalanced motors or props. is your camera stabilized? ie on a gimbal or hard mounted to the frame?

maxwelltub

Is there a way to just get the frame end? I want to use these for Coax configuration which would mean using a different motor mount.

kloner

Aerial DP
What is the advantage to longer arms? I am inferring that one can get longer flight times but would it add stability? I'm having lots of trouble with shaky footage.

These add stability to any system, even if you just use the 8.5" tubes with stock everything else your jello will bail, the efficiency goes up from not wiggling around on the end of a stick but it can make it a tad more touchy if you have an issue with the fc because of having that tighter charecteristic. if you grab your motor now and twist i'm guessing it moves a lot, and is easy to do. these have none.... I filmed all my demo in 2.7k, left it with no post stab and cropped it to 1080p to get that up close look or as up close as a stock hero looks

kloner

Aerial DP
i've been answering our support line & have heard the same question, "how do we align the motors",,,, here ya go, AerialMOB's tip of the week

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Why not use a square on a flat table? It seems the bell of the motor extends past the mount so you could do this. Also I would tell people to take their wires out of the tube so they dont drill into them. Just some thoughts. Nice job on the arms.

kloner

Aerial DP
you could, it's just that any variance in this angle changes everything. .1 degrees of goes from hovering at 20-30 amps to .0 using this method takes to hover around 9-10 amps..... it sounds different, behaves different. i've even seen that vibration you and i had in the xy8 come and go from perfecting this angle..... it makes a lot of flight controllers stop fighting each other and makes a huge difference, then pt 2 there is about pinning once it is perfect to maintain it. Were finding that a 5lbs aircraft you can grab by a motor and walk isn't the best practice, but this enables it without changing this angle at all.....

not many of us have a flat table like an iron cnc shop does

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Most do have a glass or granite counter top. also the XY8 has always flown perfectly except for those Xoars which were problematic because the bore was 1/4" and not 6mm like they were supposed to. I have flown my coaxials with the arms definitely off by more than a degree and it has worked fine but I never measured how much of a power draw difference there was. Now I want to try it. well, I dont have any helicopters anymore so I guess I'm SOL. :)

Also, does it matter if the lengths of your motor centers are off from the center of the heli? I was surprised that you didnt mention anything about making the tube flush with the end of the motor mount.

adanac

Will the newer version arms have some method of registration at the motor side so that the motors/mounts can be made and held vertical without resorting to the drill mod?

i've been answering our support line & have heard the same question, "how do we align the motors",,,, here ya go, AerialMOB's tip of the week

kloner

Aerial DP
the next version just has a molded hole in the plastic that your still gonna nave to drill the boom. it's the only way we can get you guys to get these perfectly straight and locked down. i'm gonna show another mod soon that is how we changed the inside piece to make it positively locked in. It is a totaly standard method on tail booms for single rotors, makes these work better with the 4000 watts of motor

adanac

Cool. How about portability. Is there a way one can take the arms off for transport?

the next version just has a molded hole in the plastic that your still gonna nave to drill the boom. it's the only way we can get you guys to get these perfectly straight and locked down. i'm gonna show another mod soon that is how we changed the inside piece to make it positively locked in. It is a totaly standard method on tail booms for single rotors, makes these work better with the 4000 watts of motor