3-axis camera gimbal for GoPro

Discussion in 'sUAS News Robot' started by matwelli, Apr 8, 2011.

1. matwelli

matwelli Blogging Enabled

[​IMG]

Very nicely done, and available online from Shapeways

http://www.shapeways.com/model/207257/3_axis_camera_gimbal_for_gopro__back_cage_.html?gid=ug5911
    http://www.shapeways.com/model/207259/3_axis_camera_gimbal_for_gopro__lid_.html?gid=sg5911
    http://www.shapeways.com/model/207261/gopro_pan_tilt__servoframe_.html?gid=sg5911
    http://www.shapeways.com/model/207262/3_axis_camera_gimbal_for_gopro__mounting_arm_.html?gid=sg5911

uses 2 servos and a elevon or v-tail mix
    super simple, works in horizontal (perfect on the front of a Tri-copter) and in vertical modes (Under a Quad or Hex)

Many of the New controler boards have outputs for a stablised camera gimbal. to use this one you will need to add a v-tail mix board

From the Designer
    Current status:
    This is still work in progress - the current version has been slightly improved from the version in the video (I strengthened some of the elastic parts and improved the balancing). The gyro control board is my own design and currently not available yet. I will post an update once it is. The IMU is my design as well, and is available here.

You are welcome to order this design now, but be aware that it's still somewhat "beta". Whatever you do with it is entirely your own risk and responsibility, I unfortunately cannot make any claims towards its usefulness, stability or safety...

I would recommend, before you put this on a flying contraption, consider using a safety string to attach the camera to the plane somehow. GoPro cameras are very robust inside their waterproof case, but not quite so robust without that protection. They don't like crashing into the ground (and trust me, I know - as is probably obvious from the picture of my camera... in all fairness, it did mostly survive...)

For the complete kit you have to order the back cage, the front lid, the servo cage and the mounting arm. The bearing at the top is a 16mm outer, 8mm inner diameter ball bearing, available from many places. Hobbyking sells those as well.
    I will possibly modify the mounting bracket in the future and also offer one with a smaller bearing... this one is total overkill! :)

The servos that will fit are the MKS DS470 (available e.g. from Hobbyking). They do have a little play, but they are very smooth and by far the fastest servo I've seen in that size and price class. I'm still on the lookout for different servos that might be a bit smoother.

-- Update: Seems the MKS has too much gain for the yaw axis, and tends to oscillate a bit with all that weight swinging around. They are fine for the Pitch/Roll arms. I'm still looking for a small servo with high speed, smoothness and no (or little) play... Suggestions are of course welcome!!

-- The servos are still a very tight fit into the control arms and the bracket. I already made it a bit larger, but still not enough. What works quite well is to carefully push it on just a little (best to put the arms onto a flat surface, and gently push the servo in just a bit to align). Then use a screw (maybe with a washer to spread the force), and slowly pull the arm onto the crown. You only have to do that once, it'll be a tight, smooth fit afterwards.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2014
  2. beeker_12

beeker_12 New Member

heh, weird they dont sell it all together as a kit, at least i couldnt find it

3. matwelli

yea, you would think it would make sense to sell as a package, it also works out to be quite expensive, when you can get a 2 axis one from www.quadframe.com for under 40 euro

4. Emowillcox

Emowillcox New Member

Hey Mat how do you think that quadframe gopro mount handles vibration?

5. matwelli

will be able to tell you in a few days, have 10 of those and the "lunar lander" in transit :)

6. Emowillcox

Emowillcox New Member

Wow that is cool what are you gonna do with 10 and what is kind of board you gonna use with the lunalander? Are you gonna try the shapely gopro mount?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2011
  7. matwelli

no, not going to try the shapley, its kinda neat, but the quadframe one will do me (plus its well priced)
    Board will probably be the open pilot copter control

8. Crash

Crash Defies Psychics

That shapeway mount looks neat but I don't see it working on an aircraft. It looks too flexible. It would be great on a robot though.

Let us know how that quadframe mount holds up. I'm a little concerned about the way the bolts hold it together.

9. DennyR

DennyR New Member

I think it will be hard for a stabilising IMU to keep things smooth with direct drive and what seems to be a very light structure. I may be proved wrong at some stage, who knows.

10. Macsgrafs

Macsgrafs New Member

Hey Mat, that's quite impressive mate. I like it. I agree that it might be too twitchy, needs a bigger drive ratio, or toning down some in the software. Can you tell me what was happening in the 2nd film...were you controlling it via RC? Because im in the market for an rc cam mount for a gopro, but it must be gyro stabilised in all 3 axis?
    Looks nice at any rate.....does it come in black or flourescent colours ;)

Ross