2015 NAB News: Blackmagic Micro Cinema Cam, Tiny, Drone-Specific Super16 RAW Camera

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com

Attachments

• mini 2.png
    mini 2.png
    371.8 KB · Views: 724
  • mini.jpg
    mini.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 688

econfly

OK, first thing from NAB that I really want. 13 stops, RAW, PWM/S.Bus camera control... looks like an MFT mount. Could be terrific.

econfly

The global shutter means no rolling shutter. The entire frame is scanned at once (i.e., not top to bottom with some lag from the top to the bottom, where the scan itself captures motion over a very brief time period). You don't get that stair-stepped jagged appearance with motion, but rather clean motion blur within the frame. If you leave the shutter speed at a typical video rate (say, 1/50th) the individual frames may not be ideal for photos from video, but will look much better as video. If you crank up the shutter speed with a global shutter the individual frames will certainly look better than with a rolling readout (but worse as video -- more inter-frame jitter).

econfly

Also, almost all consumer video options -- even very good ones including the GH4 and the original Blackmagic BMPCC -- have rolling shutter. To get a global shutter is very interesting here. In my view the BMPCC, for its size, is the best 1080p camera out there. If Blackmagic is giving us comparable quality for under $1000 with a global shutter then this little camera will be tremendous. And, being very light, we won't need huge rigs to fly it. The BMPCC was already very light. This micro is a couple of ounces lighter.

econfly

Buying one of these is a no-brainer. The problem will be, as usual, the gimbal. One negative with the BMPCC and this new micro is the crop factor of about 2.9. So a 14mm lens is nearly 42mm in practice. That makes any given angular movement in the camera much more evident, so the gimbal needs to be very good and stable.

econfly

This seems to have a lot of great features but I don't see 4k, is anyone else disappointed?

I'm not. They are offering 4K in the same form factor as a "studio" camera (no internal recording at all, so you need something like an Atomos Shogun to capture the 4K). There really is nothing out there in a compact form that can fly and capture really great 4K at a bitrate that makes it worth the while. The GH4 is close. In my opinion the Inspire or P3 from DJI have 4K that is just about pointless (and I have the same view of the GoPro's 4K). I have a BMPCC and will take its 1080p over any 4K you can get in a similar size.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I'm not. They are offering 4K in the same form factor as a "studio" camera (no internal recording at all, so you need something like an Atomos Shogun to capture the 4K). There really is nothing out there in a compact form that can fly and capture really great 4K at a bitrate that makes it worth the while. The GH4 is close. In my opinion the Inspire or P3 from DJI have 4K that is just about pointless (and I have the same view of the GoPro's 4K). I have a BMPCC and will take its 1080p over any 4K you can get in a similar size.

isn't the GoPro ever so slightly above the Inspire and P3 due to GoPro's Protune feature?

econfly

isn't the GoPro ever so slightly above the Inspire and P3 due to GoPro's Protune feature?

Depends on how you feel about fisheye. The GoPro file is better than the Inspire (and apparently the P3 because it's using the same camera hardware). But, it's not hugely better, and if you de-fisheye in post you give up a decent amount of data. That goes away to some extent if you shoot medium or narrow, but then you are looking at sensor crop for the GoPro and that results in more noise. So, I would give the edge to the GoPro if you are fine with the fisheye look. Otherwise, the differences in practice are minimal. In all cases the 4K is just barely good enough for any use at all (other than immediate conversion to 1080p), and not good enough for zooming into the frame, panning, or any other non-trivial editing.

Darson Hall

One negative with the BMPCC and this new micro is the crop factor of about 2.9. So a 14mm lens is nearly 42mm in practice. That makes any given angular movement in the camera much more evident, so the gimbal needs to be very good and stable.
Metabones Speedbooster will drop the crop factor to 1.75. 14mm lens becomes around 24mm. Of course you have to shell out $600 and it will add weight. Haven't tried one yet but they get mostly rave reviews.